Training recommendations

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Training recommendations

Post by witsd »

Hi all, I have the opposite training-related problem from the usual!

My workplace has a healthy training budget, but it's a 'use it or lose it' kind of a thing, and last year we didn't manage to spend it all (by some way).

We've recently completed the Colin Todd FRA course and also a IFSM-accredited HQM Fire Risk Assessor training course. All of us also hold NEBOSH Gen (or Diploma) and Fire.

So, based on that, if anyone has any suggestions as to good fire-related courses, they would be greatly appreciated.

Extra info:

We would be particularly interested in anything relating to sleeping accommodation, care homes, multi-storey blocks

We can travel, but are based in Glasgow

We have a base team of 4, so we'd be going to the trainer rather than getting them to come to us, though that might be an option if the training wasn't too specific.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
LittleNell83
Student
Student

Re: Training recommendations

Post by LittleNell83 »

Maybe have a look at the IOSH website - some of their CPD training courses may be of interest. Then there is always the first aid courses which are always good to have. Depending on the sites you look after COSHH may be another area of interest?

Nell
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Ah, sorry. Should have specified that I'm exclusively looking for fire / FRA-related courses!
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Post by Paul1979 »

Hi witsd, the FPA course is very good! A 5 day course (this can then lead you to the Diploma). Definitely recommend it.
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Paul1979 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:08 pm Hi witsd, the FPA course is very good! A 5 day course (this can then lead you to the Diploma). Definitely recommend it.
Is that the Certificate in Fire Risk Assessment course? It states that it is aimed "those who have little or no fire safety knowledge" making is sound a little too basic...?
Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Post by Paul1979 »

The 5 day course opens up the door to entry towards the Level 4 Diploma (CFPA-E Dip) which is far from basic and a good challenge.

They also used to offer an advanced FRA course which was really good...definitely recommend giving them a call to see what they can offer...they've always been brilliant in my humble opinion.
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Okay, thanks, I will definitely look into them!
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Hi all, bringing this one back, as I'm currently looking for specific small courses that will help to increase my (and my team's) knowledge with a view to completing FRAs.

So far, I've decided that a couple of one-day courses on fire doors and dry riser inspection are probably a good idea, but wondered if anyone had any more suggestions for this sort of thing, as opposed to the bigger – 'career opportunity' type of courses.

I think ideally, I'd like a couple of courses on emergency lighting and fire alarms that stick to the theory – we aren't going to be installing the things, but it would be good if we could better identify issues with the installations!

Hopefully that makes sense...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy