Self closing door (Fire door) on a server room?

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Self closing door (Fire door) on a server room?

Post by TWDB »

Guys,

Just wondering if its a requirement to have a self closing door, and the door to be a fire rated door / and glass, For the office server room/ IT room in an office

We are moving office and I want to make sure our fit out company are complying

C02 extinguisher will be with 15m of server room and the room will be A/C cooled but would still pose a risk if electrical fault occurred.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Self closing door (Fire door) on a server room?

Post by Messy »

Blimey, that's a how much is a piece of string question which is almost impossible to determine blind

How big is it? Is it just server racks or is there UPS batteries and other comms systems in there? Doesn't sound as if there's a suppression system in side? Would a fire in the server room effect/delay anyone's escape route?

It sounds like an inner room situation, so if its a small room and there are minimal travel distances for people to travel if escaping away from the server room to a place of safety , then a standard door may suffice

The easy answer is yes. Its a high fire risk room so stick a fire door on it. Thats all very well when you aren't the one paying for it

So if its a couple of racks, some AC and a virtual cupboard that is inside and office and not effecting a means of escape, a standard door might do. If its a must racked server space with a false ceiling, a false floor, stacks of batteries for the UPS, a CRAC air conditioning system, a fire suppressing system, a fire door is more likely to be needed
TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Post by TWDB »

Messy wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:04 pm Blimey, that's a how much is a piece of string question which is almost impossible to determine blind

How big is it? Is it just server racks or is there UPS batteries and other comms systems in there? Doesn't sound as if there's a suppression system in side? Would a fire in the server room effect/delay anyone's escape route?

It sounds like an inner room situation, so if its a small room and there are minimal travel distances for people to travel if escaping away from the server room to a place of safety , then a standard door may suffice

The easy answer is yes. Its a high fire risk room so stick a fire door on it. Thats all very well when you aren't the one paying for it

So if its a couple of racks, some AC and a virtual cupboard that is inside and office and not effecting a means of escape, a standard door might do. If its a must racked server space with a false ceiling, a false floor, stacks of batteries for the UPS, a CRAC air conditioning system, a fire suppressing system, a fire door is more likely to be needed
The Server room is approx. 5ft square, is a tall server tower (but only with 3 or 4 slots used as only serving a floor) it will have a small A/c unit inside and is away from travel routes in an emergency all staff will be exiting walking away from the room, although there is a pod of 4 people/ desks with 3m of the room. there is a false suspended ceiling. no fire suspress system . just C02 extinguisher with 10 m approx

I assumed that a fire door would be required - and I believe has been fitted - but no intummisant strips in place ( just an air seal rubber) and no self closer fitted.

hence my question.

what do people think?

Thanks

T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Only considering the risk to life, a standard door is going to give your colleagues at least 5 to 10 minutes before it fails.

Is there any reason to think that some people could still be in the building at that point, or is that as incredibly unlikely as I would imagine it being?

Assuming so, my FRA would conclude that there was no need for a fire door, however given the risk to property, it would still be the recommended thing to do.

Outside of buildings with sleeping arrangements, those holding very large numbers of people, or those using a staged evacuation, fire doors are largely going to be for property protection only.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy