Emergency doors must not be so locked or fastened...

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Emergency doors must not be so locked or fastened...

Post by Messy »

I would be careful if only considering designated fire exits during a FRA. I am not saying all exit doors must be a fire exit, but all routes to a place of safety should be assessed

People will use any door to the outside as a final exit , whether its signed as a fire exit and official or not

This is why fire alarms must have manual call points by every exit from a building - including loading bays etc, in order to meet the requirements of BS5839-1
joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by joaorosa80 »

joaorosa80 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:35 am

I said I was out, but your post requires a further comment.

You're not explaining why anyone would lock the door behind them with a key while there were people inside!
If there's nobody inside when the door is locked, this whole thread is irrelevant.
Are you relaying in human behavior?

You're not explaining why anyone would lock the door behind them with a key while there were people inside!
Because Mr.M is afraid that someone could try to get in to grab the car keys and the wallet. In fact, almost home time.

If there's nobody inside when the door is locked, this whole thread is irrelevant.
Apparently, no one was left inside, but Mr.F was doing protecting time in one of the meeting rooms. In fact, he was using one of the lasted headphones with noise-canceling for not getting distracted.
The roll call was conducted and believed that Mr.F left earlier since he wasn't seen since lunchtime.

Mission impossible?!
joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by joaorosa80 »

Messy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:27 pm I would be careful if only considering designated fire exits during a FRA. I am not saying all exit doors must be a fire exit, but all routes to a place of safety should be assessed

People will use any door to the outside as a final exit , whether its signed as a fire exit and official or not

This is why fire alarms must have manual call points by every exit from a building - including loading bays etc, in order to meet the requirements of BS5839-1
Totally agree.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Well it's not helpful to be drip fed aspects of the scenario.
Because Mr.M is afraid that someone could try to get in to grab the car keys and the wallet. In fact, almost home time.
Apparently, no one was left inside, but Mr.F was doing protecting time in one of the meeting rooms. In fact, he was using one of the lasted headphones with noise-canceling for not getting distracted.
The roll call was conducted and believed that Mr.F left earlier since he wasn't seen since lunchtime.
There is still not a satisfactory explanation, because now you make it sound as though this door is never available for use from the inside, because people are always unlocking/locking it from the outside.

The more you throw titbits of the scenario in, the more confusing it becomes. .scratch .scratch
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy