External walls on new building / proximity of adjacent buildings

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

External walls on new building / proximity of adjacent buildings

Post by Paul1979 »

Hi, another stupid novice question from me...query whether external covering on a wall is safe please...

Situation is a new build - small offices of two storeys where the total height of building is <18m. Approx. 150msq footprint so fairly small.

Building is positioned between two existing buildings (steel portal framed commercial units with steel cladding on external walls). The distances between the new build and the adjoining units is >1000mm (more like 3m-4m).

The external walls (all) of the new offices have timber cladding. It was confirmed that the timber has not been treated for fire resistance.

Looking at ADB Vol (I've attached diagram I am looking at) am I right in thinking that it is acceptable to have combustible lining on the external walls as the premises are <18m high, and more than 1000mm from adjacent buildings / boundary?? Or does the boundary only apply to distance from edge of land and not the next building???

Any help / advice always appreciated!!
Attachments
IMG_6749.PNG
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: External walls on new building / proximity of adjacent buildings

Post by bernicarey »

You're looking at the wrong section.
S13 is Space Separation and you have to do calculations based on 'unprotected areas'.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy