We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Very quick extinguisher colour / date question

Discuss all things fire related.

Moderator: Moderators

witsd
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Very quick extinguisher colour / date question

Post by witsd » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:15 am

When was the last time that it would have been acceptable to be using a blue dry powder extinguisher?

Monday morning is not helping me add this one up, and the internet isn't being helpful! :roll:
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Andyblue
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Re: Very quick extinguisher colour / date question

Post by Andyblue » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:58 pm

Great question that I couldn’t help look at according to Surrey Fire website, they ceased in 1997.
You should be very proud to have found a museum piece😎

witsd
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by witsd » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:20 pm

Two museum pieces.

Still not as good as the bright green halon extinguisher I found in a shed a few years ago, last checked in 1987... :roll:
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: Ex London Fire Brigade. Now 'retired' and providing bespoke fire safety solutions to a large worldwide portfolio of premises by an employer with long pockets and short arms!

Post by Messy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:44 pm

Blimey, that is a relic and a dangerous one too

I was working on a project on a former US airbase in east Anglia and found some purple something US extinguishers - complete with a separate co2 charging cylinder. The base of the larger unit was rotten as the last test date was in the early 70s!

I was frightened to touch it to be honest as it would have been blown to rusty pieces if activated

More recently, I have started a policy of removing extinguishers from locked rooms- such as plant rooms etc - as they keep being missed by service engineers. I came across a co2 last tested in 1986 back in January, so had to take action

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:02 pm

I was working on a project on a former US airbase in east Anglia and found some purple something US extinguishers - complete with a separate co2 charging cylinder. The base of the larger unit was rotten as the last test date was in the early 70s!
'Purple K' is a Dry Powder extinguisher that is around 80% Potassium Bicarbonate and is actually coloured Violet/Purple to distinguish it from other DP Extinguisher powders.
Common in the USA (and other areas of the world where they have Fire Influence) usually with MACR sites, Airports, Oil refineries, Military Airfields etc. Usually marked as "PKP".

The big Flight Line extinguishers used to be around 140lb of powder with a separate bottle to charge it, CO2 I think that was (is).

I seem to recall one of it's properties was that it was compatible with Form, the PKP putting the flames out and the Foam laying on top to keep it out.
Other DP extinguisher materials are not compatible with foam.
PKP.jpg
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:09 pm

witsd wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:15 am
When was the last time that it would have been acceptable to be using a blue dry powder extinguisher?

Monday morning is not helping me add this one up, and the internet isn't being helpful! :roll:
I'd say what are the test dates on it?
Given that there is no legal requirement for colour marking of extinguishers, only the BS, so long as it has been correctly serviced and inspected, then there is no requirement for it to now be Red.

I saw this Foam one in 2014, all the servicing dates were still current, from a reputable local firm.
20140812_202218.jpg
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:20 pm

witsd wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:20 pm
Two museum pieces.

Still not as good as the bright green halon extinguisher I found in a shed a few years ago, last checked in 1987... :roll:
1987!!!! is that all.... :roll:
20160324_122136.jpg
I have this one in my shed. After many months and several emails of badgering the Council, I finally found how I can legally dispose of it. Having got a Waste Transfer Certificate from the Council, which is only valid for something like 7 or 8 days, I have to make a 100+ mile round trip to completely the other end of the County, in order to take it to the one Contractor who is their licenced recycler for it. I'll make a greater environmental damage contribution driving around with it than if it were to leak away..... So when I'm actually going past this remote location in the middle of nowhere, I'll ask for a Transfer chit!
It hasn't happened for 2 years, perhaps this will be the year....
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

witsd
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by witsd » Wed May 01, 2019 9:20 am

bernicarey wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:09 pm
I'd say what are the test dates on it?

Given that there is no legal requirement for colour marking of extinguishers, only the BS, so long as it has been correctly serviced and inspected, then there is no requirement for it to now be Red.
I thought that might be the case.

But as for the test dates, well:

https://i.imgur.com/OgXvyfe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fRlrB5b.jpg

Supplied in 2007? Obviously years out of date, but it seemed doubly odd to supply two blue extinguishers well after them being pulled from general use.

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey » Wed May 01, 2019 5:06 pm

So very clearly out of date.
The company who supplied are still in operation. I just looked them up ;)
It may well be that in a bygone time, before we became a throwaway society for extinguishers, they did actually do a re-lifing maintenance on them.
That foam one I posted a photo of was only 4 years ago and I can't remember the full details, but I know all the dates were correct at the time.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy