Emergency escape lighting in Theatre

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Emergency escape lighting in Theatre

Post by Paul1979 »

Recently inspected a premises which has large theatre area (2,200 capacity).

Emergency escape lighting is currently 'non-maintained'...

Whilst I know exits need to be 'maintained', am I correct in thinking that gangways / changes of level / etc. must also have 'maintained'.

The theatre in question ripped out the 'maintained' lighting a year ago because performers were complaining the constant lighting was distracting them whilst performing!! :shock:

So, at present, 2,200 people sit there in pretty much complete darkness at times.

I've been referring to BS5266 Part 1 Para 9.3.4. The theatre owner is going to moan so I need to have chapter, verse and examples if possible...

Thanks in advance for help!
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Emergency escape lighting in Theatre

Post by Messy »

I am out and about at the moment so can't provide definite figures, but the BS does allow for the escape route ambient (maintained) level to be dimmed to 0.1lux (or somewhere around there) as long as it automatically increases to a higher level in the event of the loss of power to the room/site.

I have also seen the automatic light level being connected to the fire detection system to raise EL levels in the same way, but I cannot recall if that was a BS requirement or a condition applied by the local licensing jobsworths.

I will try to look it up later but fear my info is at the office
Paul1979
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Post by Paul1979 »

Hi Messy, thank you - it can wait until next week mate - i'd rather wait and get it 100%. I'm looking through BS5266 now...also looking at technical standards for places of entertainment too.
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Essex

Post by Essex »

Generally the decision whether to install maintained or non-maintained emergency lighting is guided by the occupants. If the building users are likely to be familiar with the building then NM lighting can be used. It would not matter if it was an exit or not.

In a theatre clearly the guests would not be familiar so the norm would be for M lighting on escape routes. However the FRA could deem that NM lighting could be used if other methods of safely evacuating members of the public during a power outage - like ushers for example.

You really need to see the FRA before making any recommendations.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Paul

Many apologies, but for the life of me I cannot find my notes anywhere (yes, I am old fashioned and have a small but badly maintained library at home!!).

During an internet search, I noted advice by Tom Sutton, a self-confessed fire safety anorak. He runs a fire safety forum attached to a fire safety equipment supply company that I have used before, but his advice is reliable and independent. He says:

"You need the escape route illuminated to 1 lux on a plane 1 meter above the floor which can be dimmed to 0.02 lux providing in the event of failure of the normal lighting, it can be restored to 1 lux within 5 secs."

Have a look at the thread here: https://www.safelincs-forum.co.uk/topic ... n-theatre/

The bottom line is that you can dim the escape lighting in theatres, as long as lighting level can be increased automatically in the event of a failure
Essex

Post by Essex »

Messy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:42 pm Paul

Many apologies, but for the life of me I cannot find my notes anywhere (yes, I am old fashioned and have a small but badly maintained library at home!!).

During an internet search, I noted advice by Tom Sutton, a self-confessed fire safety anorak. He runs a fire safety forum attached to a fire safety equipment supply company that I have used before, but his advice is reliable and independent. He says:

"You need the escape route illuminated to 1 lux on a plane 1 meter above the floor which can be dimmed to 0.02 lux providing in the event of failure of the normal lighting, it can be restored to 1 lux within 5 secs."

Have a look at the thread here: https://www.safelincs-forum.co.uk/topic ... n-theatre/

The bottom line is that you can dim the escape lighting in theatres, as long as lighting level can be increased automatically in the event of a failure
The Standard has changed since that thread. The Clause number does not even exist. 1 Lux is required on the centre line of the floor now not a 1 meter plane. It is also supposed to be 3 lux if disabled people are likely to use the building. Again this is all dependant on the FRA.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
Paul1979

Post by Paul1979 »

Thank you all for your help on this query - very much appreciated.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy