Gas pipe in single stairway

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Gas pipe in single stairway

Post by Paul1979 »

Hi, can anyone help me please?

An office block (ground, first and second floors). Built 1990's. Standard construction.

Building has a single stairway - only means of escape for occupants on first and second floor levels.

New boiler system recently installed; but contractors have positioned copper gas pipe in the stairway and have not enclosed it in FR materials.

ADB (paragraphs 8.40 and 2.42) seem to say pipe carrying natural gas or LPG should not be incorporated within a protected stairway unless it meets certain criteria of gas reg's.

From a Fire Risk Assessment perspective, what are people's thoughts on this?? Image of the said pipe attached to show what I am waffling on about! Any thoughts much appreciated.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=3067
Attachments
IMG_3244.jpg
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Paul1979
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Re: Gas pipe in single stairway

Post by Paul1979 »

Sorry - I should have stated that I was referred to article 4.40 of ADB and not 2.42 which is for flats! :)
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I wouldn't be too concerned about boxing it in. But I would have a problem with:

*It being soldered copper pipe (steel preferred)
* installed with no protection against physical damage.
*Is there adequate ventilation and smoke detection?

Boxing it in with FR material contains any leak to perhaps explosive limits more quickly and venting the boxing in makes it non FR!

I am not at home tonight so I can't look it up. But the steel pipes are recommended for dwellings. Ok they have sleeping risks, but the staircase of an average dwelling wouldn't get as much traffic and stick as your office, so off the top of my head, that's what I would consider
Paul1979

Post by Paul1979 »

Okay, that's great - thank you Messy.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy