Ignorant Managers. Don't you just love em?

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Ignorant Managers. Don't you just love em?

Post by Messy »

Phew. What a day!

I had a series of meetings with senior managers and Directors about a major non compliance fire safety issue. They refuse to accept my advice, or that of their legal team.

I suggested we invite the local fire enforcement team to offer their opinion. That didn't go down too well.

It's been one of the more stressful days I have had in a long while. Dealing with angry and ignorant idiots was never a strength of mine 😊

After that mini outburst, I am feeling better already 😂.
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Ignorant Managers. Don't you just love em?

Post by WillPool »

:banghead: [smilie=trout2.gif] :director: :violent1: [smilie=smiley-faces-28.gif]

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

It amazes me how many managers/directors appear to be completely incompetent - they must go to the same school of learning as all our politicians.
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hope today has been a better day for you Messy. ;) .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Safe&Sound
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Safe&Sound »

I feel your frustration :banghead:

What frustrates me even further is the fact these directors/managers pay us to come in and give them competent advice and they in return tell us we're wrong or don't agree .scratch .scratch
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

I 'accidentally' did an FRA of a non-relevant premises today (noticed a potentially serious issue whilst doing something unrelated), and had to bring it to the bosses' attention.

They weren't exactly happy, but at least they aren't sticking their fingers in their ears and singing.

I hope you manage to lose the chumps and get some more reasonable management soon. And assuming that that doesn't happen, just keep covering yourself and let them put themselves in legal difficulties.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Thats my world in a nutshell.
No one wants to do the job properly, they just want minimal effort and cost to cover their arses if the authorities come knocking. Problem is, what they think covers their arses, rarely does. Having a risk assessment is not the same as habing one that is suitable and sufficient. Having a tick box sheet to cover training, does not cover training.

Its not just managers etc that are like this. I've had H&S Consultants give me the most garbage paperwork that has then been absoluetly destroyed by the fire service and local authorities as inadequate.
DON

Post by DON »

Because Directors /Senior management cannot be compliant,OR agree to any work being carried out ( which in their eyes is just a waste of money ) I always think it is better to put your recommendations/concerns down in an e.mail and send it all to everyone concerned.And ask for a send / read receipt.If they reply thats even better.And then if something does go wrong,they cannot use the usual get out clause of we never knew anything about that,nobody told us etc.At the end of the day they will just try to cover their own backs.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi DON. :wave:

A very warm welcome to our forums and many thanks for your input into this discussion. ./thumbsup..

Good to have you join us. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

100% agree Don.
I got stung by this very early on in my career and the next time the company tried to throw me under the bus I dropped a folder of evidence on their desk and ended up with a decent payout not to then drop it on the local authorities desk.
Always keep records. Always make your recommednations in written form. 'I told you' will never protect you. To Quote Cathy Ryan, if you dont write it down, it didnt happen.
joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by joaorosa80 »

Hi all,
As professionals, and some of us IOSH members, shouldn't we blow the blow the whistle and walk away?
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

joaorosa80 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:19 pm Hi all,
As professionals, and some of us IOSH members, shouldn't we blow the blow the whistle and walk away?
And there's the dilemma. At what point does that threshold get crossed?

As a professional I work damn hard to do the right thing and ensure compliance. Article 5(4) of the Fire Safety Order means I can be treated as the Responsible Person if I mess up. That's anything from a fine up to serving time in Her Majesty's Travelodge. But I would be sacked, and at my tender age - and with the reputation of being a whistle blower, I would struggle to get a job collecting trolleys in my local Aldi

So, as discussed here, I have recorded my advice and have copies of e-mails from 2 x Directors tucked away. And, as I will enter the details of the disputed issue on the Fire Risk Assessment on every annual review. I have also written to every manager in this particular building to share the outcome of my risk assessment review and the inaction by management. I hope they will take up the fight as its their backsides that will get toasted. I am not comfortable with this approach , but I also have responsibilities putting a meal on the table at home

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy