Occupancy Calculations

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Occupancy Calculations

Post by stephen1974 »

Hey all, hope the new years been fun so far.

What are your thoughts on how to calculate the capacity for this situation?

I have a large room with 5 single exists, 4 under 1050mm, 1 over. There is also a double exit.

The double exit and the larger single door both lead in to another room that only has a double door (the main entrance)
These two exits, depending on where you stand also fall in to the 45' rule.

The other single exits lead directly outside but again, two fall under the 45' rule along one wall, and the remaining two also fall under the 45's rule along the other wall. (So lets call the sets North, East, South)

Obviously I discount for the largest doors, but how many would I disqualify under the 45' rule. I'm assuming just one under the logic that a fire in front of North would mean East and South are clear. By a similar assumption, if I am disqualifying the largest door because there might be a fire in front of it, i must disqualify the associated door with it. Do I then have to disqualify any other doors?

If I have to disqualify half my doors, thats umm, yeah.....

How does going from one room to another affect the building capacity? In theory I could have 400 people going in to a space with an exit for 200 people. Perhaps irrelevant in this case as the doors leading to that smaller room are my two biggest and are getting disqualified anyway, but as advice for similar situations in the future?

A previous (before they opened in 2011), and only, FRA has the capacity at 700 (reduced to 499 if alcohol is served - is there anything in fire regs about this?? nothing in their premises licence about reduced capacity) I've got it at (best 500, worst 200, my estimate 400). My calculations being:

200 - Double Doors (discounted as largest doors)
200 - 1050mm + Single (discounted as within 45' of Double Doors)
100 - Single Doors under 1050mm x4 doors.

Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Occupancy Calculations

Post by Waterbaby »

Bump ./thumbsup..

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy