Flats above shops

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Flats above shops

Post by Paul1979 »

Good old flats above shops saga...

Retail unit ground and basement.
3 storeys above each with 1 flat.

Building built circa 1850's.

Standard construction (Bricks, mortar, stone, slate, tiles, etc.)

60min separation between shop & flat.
60min separation between basement & ground floor shop.
Timber stair has been underdrawn.
Separation between each flat - uncertain at this stage...looks to me like timber tongue and groove floors but ceilings have been underdrawn with gyproc plasterboard.

AFD (Part 1) in shop which has been extended to stairway of flats at bottom and top of stair.
AFD (Part 6) Grade D in each flat (smoke) with heat detector in kitchen linked to building fire alarm system.

There is independent access to the flats which is a single stairway which is only means of escape. This discharges on to the street. Shop has its own independent entrance/exit.

Looking at guidance, which says...

Several flats over a shop (3+ storeys) - 30 minute fire doors to each flat door. 60 minutes between floors. Internal doors should also be fire resisting thus giving a 60 minute fire resistance between the flats and the staircase. Clear exit route out to a place of safety.

The design of the building is such that there is only one door leading to/from each flat i.e. not a lobby approach.

So, using this as guidance, should the flats each have a FD60s door as there is no internal door as such?? Including the top flat?? Or will FD30s suffice?

If it helps, they are immediately opposite a manned Fire Station! :)
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Flats above shops

Post by witsd »

Without having read any of the guidance but using a common-sense approach, I would personally recommend upgrading the flat doors to FD60 if they all open directly onto the only escape route, but I probably wouldn't state that the landlord must take this action.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Re: Flats above shops

Post by Paul1979 »

Thank you for your reply - much appreciated.
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy