RISK ASSESSING THE FIRE RISK ASSESSOR – RETAINERS AND DISCLAIMERS

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

RISK ASSESSING THE FIRE RISK ASSESSOR – RETAINERS AND DISCLAIMERS

Post by hammer1 »

Great article below:

http://www.firesafetylaw.co.uk/risk-ass ... sclaimers/

There a seminar in June on this up Manchester way....
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: RISK ASSESSING THE FIRE RISK ASSESSOR – RETAINERS AND DISCLAIMERS

Post by Messy »

I have to say I was - and am - concerned about the non invasive nature of the fire risk assessments I complete. Fire spread through hidden voids or those that should be fire stopped keeps me at wake at night the most.

I will randomly lift ceiling tiles above doors but rarely floor tiles. I haven't got the time or kit to do so. However, if I have suspicions about significant fire separation issues, I record my concerns and recommend a full survey be carried out - for big premises, perhaps in a phased process over several years.

From heritage buildings to modern offices with raised floors, false ceiling and data engineers punch holes through every surface - its a tricky one. But it's residential where it will go wrong. Stay put policies + dodgy builders + uncontrolled fire safety provision in flats (not covered by fire safety legislation) = fatalities. Someone will have to swing, and the Assessor's going to be at the top of the list.

Thank goodness I don't do residential any more :)
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Thank you for this very interesting link Hammer and Messy, thank you for your follow-through opinions. .salut .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

Post by hammer1 »

Messy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:15 pm I have to say I was - and am - concerned about the non invasive nature of the fire risk assessments I complete. Fire spread through hidden voids or those that should be fire stopped keeps me at wake at night the most.

I will randomly lift ceiling tiles above doors but rarely floor tiles. I haven't got the time or kit to do so. However, if I have suspicions about significant fire separation issues, I record my concerns and recommend a full survey be carried out - for big premises, perhaps in a phased process over several years.

From heritage buildings to modern offices with raised floors, false ceiling and data engineers punch holes through every surface - its a tricky one. But it's residential where it will go wrong. Stay put policies + dodgy builders + uncontrolled fire safety provision in flats (not covered by fire safety legislation) = fatalities. Someone will have to swing, and the Assessor's going to be at the top of the list.

Thank goodness I don't do residential any more :)
Can you imagine .shaking :( :( . I am in knee deep residential :lol: .pale

Trying to educate clients in regards to type 1,3 etc fire risk assessments is a minefield alone.

A lot of FRA's now have caveats galore (along the same line you had in asbestos surveys). What was interesting about that article was the potential for liability on the management/training after the FRA has been completed.

We obviously see where risk assessors get prosecuted, wonder how many have been taken to account and been cleared over the years?
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Tempted to go on this.
I can risk assess what I can see but often dont have access to whats above the ceilings or below the floors.
I was about to risk assess the building im looking after and replace our existing assessments done by a contractor. Decided to pass on that idea for the moment and just keep using the contractor instead.

Worried about things being a case of missing something because you dont know what you dont know.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy