Fire Risk Assessment Courses

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

timg
Student
Student

Fire Risk Assessment Courses

Post by timg »

Hi,

I am interested in improving my fire safety knowledge, possibly with the idea of becoming a fire risk assessor in due course.

I have already completed the week long course run by the FPA at the Fire Service Training College in Glocs but don't feel this has given me enough to be deemed to be competent.

Apart from the NEBOSH certificate courses are there any other high level courses anyone could recommend that might be worth considering?

The idea would be at some point in the future to undertake assessments of pubs, shops and hotels etc.

Ideally I would like to shadow someone undertaking these types of inspections as well at some point to get a fuller understanding.

Many thanks
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Fire Risk Assessment Courses

Post by Waterbaby »

Bump ./thumbsup..

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
soulassasin101
Student
Student

Post by soulassasin101 »

Hi,

Really enjoyed the course run by vulcan, its enough to get you technical membership of the IFM and IFSM which theirs been mumblings may be a minimum requirement to do fire risk assessments in the future.

http://www.vulcanfiretraining.co.uk/cou ... ertificate

They seem to do a nebosh conversion course for those with nebosh fire certificate, not sure if that's implying the nebosh course is a lower standard or not....
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

Post by hammer1 »

soulassasin101 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:15 pm Hi,

Really enjoyed the course run by vulcan, its enough to get you technical membership of the IFM and IFSM which theirs been mumblings may be a minimum requirement to do fire risk assessments in the future.

http://www.vulcanfiretraining.co.uk/cou ... ertificate

They seem to do a nebosh conversion course for those with nebosh fire certificate, not sure if that's implying the nebosh course is a lower standard or not....
I have done a course with these guys a good few years back, I did the fire managers conversion course which was the next step up from the Fire NEBOSH, very informative at the time and a good way to go towards IFE/IFSM grades.

They have a Diploma course now also which would follow the next stage, not been on it but again goes to the next level I would presume.

The FPA 5 day course you completed was that part of the CFPA Europe Diploma in Fire Prevention course? if so it is a very good course to ground your knowledge and gives you scope to complete the other part (although time consuming for me so I didn't).

If fire risk assessing is your main goal then I would suggest applying for one of the Fire Risk Assessing registers.

If you are only focusing at certain sectors there are courses out there that cater specifically for these areas and the various IFE /IFSM approved courses and FPA have a few varied courses in some sectors also.
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
timg
Student
Student

Post by timg »

Hi Hammer,

Thanks for the info and advice I will look further into it.

Yes the course you mentioned is the one I did.

Cheers

Tim
timg
Student
Student

Post by timg »

Hi Soulassassin,

thanks to you too for your advice, rest assured I will look into that also.

Regards

tim
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

I'm also looking at doing a Risk Assessment course with the fire service.
However, my employer has asked me to shop around for courses (wants the cheapest one no doubt)
Any suggestions on companies who do this? I think the fire service course is around the £600 mark. I looked at the NEBOSH fire certificate and its ludicrously expensive so thats out, and then i've seen cheaper online ones which id rather avoid.
ssmith65

Post by ssmith65 »

stephen1974 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 12:12 am I'm also looking at doing a Risk Assessment course with the fire service.
However, my employer has asked me to shop around for courses (wants the cheapest one no doubt)
Any suggestions on companies who do this? I think the fire service course is around the £600 mark. I looked at the NEBOSH fire certificate and its ludicrously expensive so thats out, and then i've seen cheaper online ones which id rather avoid.
Have you completed the NEBOSH certificate?

I only ask because I did mine about 3 years ago and I am now doing the fire one. If you have NGC1 then you don't have to redo it for the fire certificate you just have to do FC1 and FC2 (written practical) - If you factor this to the in price I managed to get the distance learning package for less than £300. I just need to learn all the stuff now complete the particle and pass the exam :)

You get 5 years from the date of completing the NGC to complete the fire certificate, maybe worth looking at? at least if you are planning on the NGC as well.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Not done the NGC. I have a real problem remembering all the lists and official wordings etc. No chance of the boss paying for the fire certificate either.

Having spoken with the fire service their course seems ideal for what i need. Its there so I can show competency and I think a judge would be hard pressed to say the fire service are not running their course content to a competent standard. Its also an IFE approved course making it easier to register with them should I choose to do so. Course is about a third of the cost of the NEBOSH certificate.

That said, doesnt mean I wont look at doing the NEBOSH certificate in the future, but for now, this seems to the right fit for me and hopefully will give me a good grounding for doing NFC.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy