Sign-in Requirements

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

cosmarchy

Sign-in Requirements

Post by cosmarchy »

Hi,
Are there any legal requirements for employees to sign in and put of to the building at the start and end of the day?

We have one particular employee who refuses to do so whilst everyone else manages to do so; it is in case of a fire alarm but not sure whether this is a legal requirement or company policy.

Thanks
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Sign-in Requirements

Post by Messy »

In England and Wales, The Fire Safety Order applies legal duties for all employees to cooperate with whatever systems have been put in place by their employer. This would include a signing in book.

By refusing to sign in, this member of staff can be seen as acting unlawfully - therefore misconduct - therefore discipline and eventually, dismissal if they refuse to cooperate. It is as simple as that

Excerpts of Article 23 and32 below

General duties of employees at work

23.—(1) Every employee must, while at work—

(a)take reasonable care for the safety of himself and of other relevant persons who may be affected by his acts or omissions at work;

(b)as regards any duty or requirement imposed on his employer by or under any provision of this Order, co-operate with him so far as is necessary to enable that duty or requirement to be performed or complied with; and

(c)inform his employer or any other employee with specific responsibility for the safety of his fellow employees—

(i)of any work situation which a person with the first-mentioned employee’s training and instruction would reasonably consider represented a serious and immediate danger to safety; and

(ii)of any matter which a person with the first-mentioned employee’s training and instruction would reasonably consider represented a shortcoming in the employer’s protection arrangements for safety,

in so far as that situation or matter either affects the safety of that first-mentioned employee or arises out of or in connection with his own activities at work, and has not previously been reported to his employer or to any other employee of that employer in accordance with this sub-paragraph.

32(2) It is an offence for any person to—

(a)fail to comply with article 23 (general duties of employees at work) where that failure places one or more relevant persons at risk of death or serious injury in case of fire;

NB: Similar responsibilities apply in Scotland & NI but under different legislation
MSpurling
Student
Student

Post by MSpurling »

Messy has it spot on for me.

I would be interested to know the employee's reason for not signing in/out.
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

MSpurling wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:20 am Messy has it spot on for me.

I would be interested to know the employee's reason for not signing in/out.
I would also be really interesting to know why they do not want to sign in/out?
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
cosmarchy

Post by cosmarchy »

Thanks for this guys.
Blackstone wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:35 am I would also be really interesting to know why they do not want to sign in/out?
The reason for not signing is that this individual firstly thinks he is above everyone else and secondly so he can fiddle his hours as no one when he arrives and leaves...
MSpurling
Student
Student

Post by MSpurling »

cosmarchy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:10 am Thanks for this guys.
Blackstone wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:35 am I would also be really interesting to know why they do not want to sign in/out?
The reason for not signing is that this individual firstly thinks he is above everyone else and secondly so he can fiddle his hours as no one when he arrives and leaves...
Well a swift disciplinary for misconduct should hopefully sort that out.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy