Temporary storage of cardboard

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Elvisisalive

Temporary storage of cardboard

Post by Elvisisalive »

We are due a large delivery of equipment that comes packaged in cardboard boxes. The equipment will removed from the boxes. The 90 cardboard boxed will be flattened and stored in an office area. The following day, a collection company is coming to collect all the empty boxes, cardboard and associated packaging material. I have been told that under fire regulations that this rubbish cannot be stored in one of the office rooms overnight due to fire regulation. Is this a correct statement? Its only for a day and its just a normal office, no machinery other than a laptops/computers at desk but the office the rubbish is being store overnight do not even have these IT equipment.

I have asked under what fire regulation this relates to and I am still awaiting for a response.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Temporary storage of cardboard

Post by Messy »

Its nonsense
If its not blocking or stored in any escape routes , I doubt it would be an issue

Who has told you this and why would they and prevent this from happening? Frankly it's all a bit odd
Elvisisalive

Post by Elvisisalive »

Messy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:12 pm Its nonsense
If its not blocking or stored in any escape routes , I doubt it would be an issue

Who has told you this and why would they and prevent this from happening? Frankly it's all a bit odd

Someone is the office who thinks they are all things expert in Fire regulations
Chief White Halfoat
Student
Student

Post by Chief White Halfoat »

Sounds like the ago old health and safety urban legend.

Break it down and think about the risks... Who will be harmed and how?

From the information you have provided the only risk I can see is of spontaneous combustion....

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy