Forum Ranks - Suggestions?

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

BGW
Industry Sector: Engineering

Re: Forum Ranks - Suggestions?

Post by BGW »

Just a thought, but having read many of the posts on this site it appears the you can become a respected member by the number of posts and not the quality of your question or answer, please tell me am I missing the point somewhere here?
Stoker
Très Drôle
Très Drôle
Twitter: http://twitter.com/safetyphoto
Industry Sector: Space Travel

Post by Stoker »

I think to point has been missed, the grading for the number of posts is fun, its not a qualification or a system of ranking.
you can become a respected member
ALL members are respected, there is no distinction at all on this forum, although in my opinion, the ones I enjoy mainly come from those who are new to safety and are willing to ask the question, as well as those who answer with quality and accuracy within the operating rules of this forum, some of these members are not on the forum everyday, they have busy jobs, their post count is not to high, but their contribution is second to none, they also have no other motivation to be on this forum, but to assist
please tell me am I missing the point somewhere here?
In short - yes
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion »

Is rank important ? - Well actually, No.
I didn't behave any differently when I listed as a junior member, or a student, or a newbie.
The only thing rank tells me is that someone hasn't participated much, or has participated a lot. I'll decide for myself if any advice offered or answer supplied is suitable, and I assume others do the same.
As they say in that great cultural example Blazing Saddles ... "Badges ?!?!? We don't need no stinkin badges !!"
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
BGW
Industry Sector: Engineering

Post by BGW »

So it maybe a common misperception by forum users to believe that ranking status has anything what-so-ever to do with any ones status to answer any given question.

It’s merely an indication of the most common forum contributors?
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion »

I think you have understood the concept :)
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
Oracle
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Oracle »

BGW wrote:So it maybe a common misperception by forum users to believe that ranking status has anything what-so-ever to do with any ones status to answer any given question.
I dont think its that common a misperception in fairness .scratch

I searched for "ranking status" through the sites own search engine,and it doesnt get mentioned alot .scratch
http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ° http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/amibeing.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He is most free from danger, who, even when safe, is on his guard."- Publilius Syrus - Roman writer and poet.
jonsi
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Polymer Processing

Post by jonsi »

(haven't read every post in this subject so forgive me if I'm repeating anything written earlier)

In a previous incarnation (when I did IT stuff) a forum I used to pile into used a 'Recommendation' flag so readers could hit the recommend button if they thought the post a good one (question or answer ..or even a funny) much in the same way they could 'red flag' a post to the Mods. Although not an exact science it did tend to show who was considered most knowledgeable (rather than bumping up post numbers with pointless 'me too' post etc), eventually leading to an MVP table.

Whilst not advocating anyone be voted MVP, the 'recommend' vote does reward a good post and recognises the time/trouble someone has taken to contribute to the overall knowledge of the forum.
"Talk about Mental Illness - because it will touch your life this year. "
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion »

MVP = Most Venerable Personage ?
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

kevlarion wrote:MVP = Most Venerable Personage ?
Nope:

MVP = Member Violently Procrastinating

Back to the matter in hand though. On a forum I frequent you can flag a post as mentioned before but it is a "thank". So if I posted a query and someone replied with a really helpful post I could "thank" them by flagging the post. The number of thanks a person received can be viewed and seen as a level of their helpfullness?
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

The recommendation and thanks buttons on some forums are typically found on other styles of forums, vbulletin I think. The phpBB3 forums would need a significant modification to add functions like these.

My personal opinion...all constructive posts are helpful, from the moment they are posted and for years to come. We have hundreds, if not thousands of visitors who have been with us for many months/years and may never register with the forums, yet they take comfort in knowing almost all of their questions will be answered on these forums somewhere. The fact that they don't register means they wouldn't be able to 'thank' or 'recommend' a post/topic, therefore the thank yous wouldn't fully represent how helpful the comments were as a measure. Of course it will be some kind of indication, but it wouldn't be nearly accurate.

I also have a theory...

We all have a brain. Our brain will hold similar amounts of information. That information will be different for each individual, which in turn means we are all knowledgeable about stuff we know about. My point is, if a question is asked and I know the answer, I'll share my knowledge. If I don't know the answer, then it doesn't mean I'm not knowledgeable, it just means I haven't learned that particular piece of knowledge yet. This simply cannot be gauged on a forum hoping that people click the thumbs up button.

I'd rather not put people in the position of not having many thumbs up due to the possible perception that they are not knowledgeable, when in fact there are many reasons why they may not have many thumbs up, and not for lack of knowledge on the subject. I think this perception could make individuals feel not very good at all, and that's just not right.

Now, the challenge is, who has any kind of clue what I'm trying to say? :lol: With that knowledge, comes great power :lol:

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
jonsi
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Polymer Processing

Post by jonsi »

Fair point Jack

'forget the ranks ...just say "thanks"'
"Talk about Mental Illness - because it will touch your life this year. "
Keith1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

Jack Kane wrote:Now, the challenge is, who has any kind of clue what I'm trying to say? :lol: With that knowledge, comes great power :lol:
I get the idea I think. At the end of the day maybe some, "if it isn't broken then don't fix it" logic can be applied. Whilst I know suggestions for improvements are always welcome I think in this case there wouldn't be any valuable improvement for all the work necessary to mke it happen. And we can't get rid of forum ranks as I'm quite fond of mine! ./thumbsup..
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy