School groups and special needs safety assessments

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

acko 338
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: From July 1st - Director / Owner of Black & White (UK) Ltd as well as Glyn Atkinson Safety Services - self employed Health and Safety Consultant / Advisor / Technical Author.
Location: GRIMSBY TOWN - I NOW KNOW HOW TO DEFINE OPTIMISM !!

School groups and special needs safety assessments

Post by acko 338 »

I have been helping Mrs A. in her college role as tutor / mentor set up some basic H&S inductions for school taster groups, hospital therapy groups, and limited ability college students.

A lot of her current students have additional learning needs or have disabilities.

She would like to find some basic but informative powerpoints or videos (If they exist) that would be suitable for showing to basic learners including the special needs group.

Does anyone on here have any dealings with this learner group, and if so have you managed to find or use any visual aids?

The area of teaching is in the horticulture section of the college, so anything showing garden tools would be ideal!

The basic NVQ's are often backed up by photo evidence of what work the students can do, as often they cannot read or write, or their mental abilites are less than an able bodied person.

This does not stop the varied groups of students from seeking employment, as often the repetitive tasks such as pricking out seeds and re-potting plants into individual pots is exactly what they are best able to do, and can fulfil a work placement in local garden centres for the benefit of both sides, and gives the student a purpose, and an end product from their learning.

Some of the downloads on here have been excellent, and others seem ok to start with then go far too complicated and detailed for her students to understand.

Is anyone on the forum part of this learning / teaching process at this level of ability, and if so would they be willing to share some of their ideas or presentations?

Thanks in advance for any help received !
http://atkinsonsafetyservices.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also sole director of Black & White (UK) Ltd - looking for more training and consultancy work.
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

Acko

Although not horticultural in origin

have you tried looking at the napo clips on the hse website?
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
acko 338
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: From July 1st - Director / Owner of Black & White (UK) Ltd as well as Glyn Atkinson Safety Services - self employed Health and Safety Consultant / Advisor / Technical Author.

Post by acko 338 »

That's for that, I already have all of the current NAPO videos for training of our staff, and I'm really looking for something with gardening equipment in it that shows simple acts of working with spades, hoes, barrows,etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, though !
http://atkinsonsafetyservices.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also sole director of Black & White (UK) Ltd - looking for more training and consultancy work.
Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Post by Penfold »

Hi Acko

Try the Association of Colleges (AoC) the h&S person there is Stephen Green, in my last role at a FE college Stephen was a great help with loads of information he is only too happy to pass on

http://www.aoc.co.uk/aoc/health-and-safety
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
dave247
Dangerous Dave
Dangerous Dave
Industry Sector: Waste

Post by dave247 »

Acko, I was asking my mom about thia as she has a lot to do with allotments organisations. She gave me this link as she thought it may be a good place to ask. Might be worth it might not

http://www.allotments-uk.com/forum/
For brilliance and, at the same time, for consistency of achievement, for activity in philanthropic enterprise, for astuteness of management and for general alertness, the superiors of Aston Villa cannot be found
acko 338
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by acko 338 »

Thanks to Penfold and Dave 247 - I'll give both of these a coat of looking at soon !

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy