can't drive won't drive

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

safetygal
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @safety_gal

can't drive won't drive

Post by safetygal »

I don't drive, I can't drive, I have a medical condition that restricts me... it has never been a problem I live near Reading and my world is pretty commutable by trains and buses - I get around

When I first started in Health and safety (fell into it - as you do) in 2004 (just checked - that surprised me) being a non driver wasn't an issue .cheers you came to work, you did your job and went home etc. etc. those who have seen me on here before know that I have been pretty unlucky and been made redundant a fair few times (5 in total .pale ) it used to be easier to get a job.

I was told get your Diploma, you will never be out of work! in June/July I was made redundant on the Friday and attended my graduation on the Monday! .scratch big congrats from that company!

I had the summer off and started working on a 6 month contract for a CDM business to bring a client to OHSAS18001. It was always going to be 6 months because they need people who can drive in their business and as that is not going to change then they cannot offer me anything else - so I am grateful and I understood this from the start, this ends in March/April.
So obviously I am looking, everything needs "a full clean driving license" where are the corporate roles? where are the non driving roles? do they not exist anymore? what about being environmentally friendly and allowing staff to use public transport? If I suggest this to a recruiter it is like I have said a dirty word!

I am currently studying the Mental Health First aid instructor course as Mental Health and Wellbeing is a massive topic for H&S right now

I am starting to feel I wasted 4 years of my life studying the NEBOSH Diploma, perhaps I should have taken the HR route? I am supposed to be doing my Masters in September and I am seriously considering cancelling it... I don't mind saying that I am pretty upset by all of this so please be polite with responses :cry:
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: can't drive won't drive

Post by Alexis »

For goodness sake Safetygal!!!! I am shocked!

Jack, myself and several other HSfBers have met you and know you, your passion, your determination and all your hard work that went in to gaining these qualifications, so please don't give up on your goals!!

You are correct in what you are saying regarding driving though and it is something I had never thought about until reading your post.

An article last year stating exactly what you are talking about Safetygal. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars ... drive.html

So....how can we change this? Anyone any suggestions?
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
safetygal
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by safetygal »

Thanks for this article, as you know - I am not one who wants a role sitting behind a desk, I have worked globally, I have travelled all over the UK - its just using public transport!
safetygal
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by safetygal »

Alexis wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:31 pm For goodness sake Safetygal!!!! I am shocked!

Jack, myself and several other HSfBers have met you and know you, your passion, your determination and all your hard work that went in to gaining these qualifications, so please don't give up on your goals!!

and Thank you for this, I really have worked hard for this and I was (and still am) so proud on the day I graduated and it really was thanks to all the help from everyone on this site
xx
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

You are a very strong person Safetygal and nothing will stop you I know. clapclap bighug
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I am gutted for you Safetygal. You have been so unlucky with those redundancies and I can only imagine how that could affect your motivation and perhaps your confidence. On top of that, the requirement for a clean licence is something I have never thought about.

My role had the same stipulation, although oddly, I get public transport nearly everywhere I go -and that is to all four corners of the UK and beyond. I have never been expected to drive anywhere, despite having access to several pool cars

This makes me wonder whether some employers or agencies, simply automatically put that requirement even though it is not necessary. So if its not completely obvious from the advert, is it worth contacting the company and ask them? You have nothing to lose.

Reading is not a huge commute to London. Are you looking in the capital? If you want a commercial type role, obviously there are many multinational companies and Govt Depts based in the smoke that may have a more forward looking/green view about employment.

So I echo what Her Highness Lady Alexis has said; Keep on at it and don't let the bar stewards grind you down!!!
safetygal
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by safetygal »

I can take a London job, but I am struggling with salaries

it costs a fortune from where I am (sadly) might just have to suck it up if nothing comes along soon ;)

Thanks for all you kind words x my last perm job had me on the train up and down the country - they stipulated that they wanted someone who was happy to use Public Transport as part of the job ad - all part of their traffic management planning! wish all companies could be so forward thinking!
Nic168

Post by Nic168 »

Safety Gal, congratulations on the Diploma- I know what a hard slog it can be, only regret that I did not go to my graduation ( childcare issues!). with regard to the driving, it is worth ringing up and asking about the job in general then segueing into the " how much travel is required and to where" like the previous poster I suspect that this is an automatic inclusion in many job adverts.

Good luck

Nic 168
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

Hi Safetygal,

Interested to know if you found and suitable role?

glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy