Discuss all things environmental.

Moderator: Moderators

Siblo
Snr Member
Snr Member

battery disposal or Recycling

Post by Siblo »

Hi Guys,

Looking for some clarification and guidance.

As an engineering manufacturing company we accumulate a large number of batteries, these are AA, AAA, C batteries from torches and testers etc. We also get a lot of laptop batteries, NiCad and Lithium, we also collect 6v & 12v lead acid (scooter type) batteries.

I'm looking at options for these, give them to charity, sell to a scrap yard, smuggle into Sainsbury's and dump in their recycling box, or pay our SafetyKleen guy to cart them away at a cost..

What do you guys do?

Thanks in advance

Siblo
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: battery disposal or Recycling

Post by Alexis »

Bump.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
dave247
Dangerous Dave
Dangerous Dave
Industry Sector: Waste

Post by dave247 »

These are classed as Haz waste so best be safe and get collected by a licence carrier, they will go on a consignment note but make sure you do your Duty of Care checks on them.

If the amounts aren’t high why not put them in car and take to your local HWRC.

How are you storing them on site? If so make sure covered as the lithium batteries are prone to ignighting if wet.
For brilliance and, at the same time, for consistency of achievement, for activity in philanthropic enterprise, for astuteness of management and for general alertness, the superiors of Aston Villa cannot be found
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Dave

I haven't heard of the risk of lithium batteries exploding being related to them being wet. We have control measures in place to protect from physical damage, but not wetness.

This could be a significant issue for us as we use a large number of very large lithium batteries, many of which may be subject to dampness or becoming wet

Can you please point me in the direction of any resources where I can research this further

Many thanks
dave247
Dangerous Dave
Dangerous Dave
Industry Sector: Waste

Post by dave247 »

A couple of links below but if you google there is times of stuff on it. The amount of fires caused in the waste industry from there is huge. All our permits state that it isn’t just batteries that have to be stored from the elements but WEEE, it’s one of the batteries classed as gas waste.

https://youtu.be/cTJh_bzI0QQ

https://brownell.co.uk/news/lithium-bat ... ith-water/
For brilliance and, at the same time, for consistency of achievement, for activity in philanthropic enterprise, for astuteness of management and for general alertness, the superiors of Aston Villa cannot be found

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy