bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Antifreeze Disposal - Private premises

Post by bernicarey »

Hi All
I'm asking for a bit of help in doing a little survey.

Most, if not all, of us know that Antifreeze is pretty bad for the environment if it gets into our waterways. Yet it's a reasonably simple DIY job to replace it every few years in your car and easily purchased from Motorists Supplies stores. But what are you supposed to do with the old contaminated water/antifreeze mixture?

It's taken me around 3 weeks and several emails to the local authority and water/sewerage company to find out my local answer.

Basically the Local Authority in charge of recycling are as much use as a chocolate fireguard, their official line being that they don't accept it for recycling but I have to find my own safe method of disposal :evil: .
The water company eventually replied that
Regarding the disposal of very small quantities of waste coolant, containing antifreeze from a private motor vehicle at domestic premises, I would confirm that our current position is that, as a one off, very infrequent activity, we are prepared to accept the disposal of such wastes to a confirmed foul sewerage system. i.e. collecting the waste contents of a change of coolant into a suitably sized receptacle and then pouring this down a toilet or sink (which are usually connected to a foul drainage system) and either flushing or running a tap so that the coolant is further diluted with copious amounts of water is considered to be acceptable. This position may change in the future.
So, what I'm asking is if anyone would care to
A) Ask their local authority what they are supposed to do about disposing of waste coolant containing antifreeze from their private car

and if they get a nonsense answer move on to stage 2:

B) Asking their local Water Company what they can do with waste coolant containing antifreeze from their private car, explaining that you've already asked the council and got no help.

It seems to me that this falls into the too difficult area for many local bureaucrats so they just leave people to pour it where they like, and many would just put it down the regular rain drain, which it a bad choice.

If you would like to post any results you get on here, I think it would be good to share.
You can leave out the actual authority names so as to protect the inept and useless. ;)
Many thanks.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Antifreeze Disposal - Private premises

Post by Alexis »

Email request sent. ./thumbsup..

2 hours later and telephone call.

Telephone our Council and they will put you on their list for free uplift twice a year.

I am impressed! ./thumbsup..
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy