Workshop based computers

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

ScottD
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Industry Sector: Logistics & warehousing

Workshop based computers

Post by ScottD »

Hi All,

Does anyone have industrial computers for use in dusty workshops etc. which allows data entry and document viewing. I am looking for a system we can set up where the workshop managers can perform checklist completion, reviewing and updating records. I am aware that due to the dust element it will have to be enclosed with a fan less PC. Basically I am just looking to see if anyone has a system which works for them that they can recommend.

Ta,

Scott
Cunningly disguised as a responsible adult
williamford

Re: Workshop based computers

Post by williamford »

A little bit of dust isn’t going to hurt things, but if left unchecked, a few particles eventually turn into a whole bunch of particles and before you know it, your heat-sinks are caked with debris. This prevents precious airflow from reaching toasty components, like your GPU and CPU, which heat up faster and throttle more often. That’s not good.

So what should you do? As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Or if you prefer, the best offense is a good defense. Either way, the point is to prevent dust from entering into your system in the first place. The best way to do that is with dust filters.

If your case doe's not have dust filters, or doesn’t have enough of them, add them yourself. Magnetic air filters typically run about £6 each, The magnets are in the frame of the filter for easy installation, and no, you don’t have to worry about them destroying your data.
hardhat

Post by hardhat »

Use a tablet?
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

What about something like this Scott?

https://www.ajproducts.co.uk/warehouse- ... d=19449350

We use similar throughout our facility where there's dust, fumes, grease, grime etc. They work really well.

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy