Android Smart TV Box

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas / Renewables / Consultancy

Android Smart TV Box

Post by wendolene26 »

I'm looking at getting one of these for my folks Christmas to turn their standard TV into a smart TV as they don't subscribe to Sky, Virgin Media etc. Essentially me and my brother have settled on Android as they both have a google mail email account and we don't want to go down the Apple route. This also avoids having to subscribe to Now TV or the likes.

Must have features are: Wifi, Ethernet connection, USB (In case they want to connect a keyboard).

Are there any particular models that fellow H&SFB-ers can recommend, or ones to avoid. Needless to say the electronics store I went into, in order to find out about these gadgets, the salesman knew less about these things than I do (which I didn't think was possible!!) Deep Joy.

Any guidance gratefully received.

.scratch .scratch .scratch .scratch
You are only a millimetre or a millisecond away from the next incident.
sharprc
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Oil & Gas

Re: Android Smart TV Box

Post by sharprc »

Hi Wendoline26,

I'm an apple buff myself, however, looked into buying one of these, and this was the one that grabbed my eye:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-Android- ... 4C1HMRJN44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quad Core Processor, Runs on Android KitKat, SD Card Expansion, 4 x USB Ports, WIFI & Ethernet Cable Support, HDMI Output.

Interestingly enough, you can buy a remote sized keyboard & mousepad that they could use:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-2-4GHz-Wire ... 1TPS41P3CT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reviews on both look to be good!

Let me know how you get on, Amazon seems to be the best for these things.

Rob
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator

Post by wendolene26 »

Both items have been bought. Thanks for the advice. We'll see what Daddy Bear thinks of them tomorrow and let's hope it's a ./thumbsup..
wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator

Post by wendolene26 »

So far the only downside to the device purchased is that apparently there's a glitch where it doesn't always let BBC iplayer programmes be viewed in their entirety. Dad got 3/4 way through watching Top Gear and it cut out. He's researched this on the tinterweb and apparently it's a known fault. ITV, Channel 4 etc are all okay but BBC not. Let's hope they bring out a software update to fix this soon. The gaffer seems quite happy with the gift in any case.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

These software issues are a pain.

Our Freeview Recorder has a problem that only affects Channel 5. If you set up a series record on any other channel, it works perfectly, just recording the relative time slot on the selected channel adjusting it as required.
But if I set series record for a C5 programme, it will pick up all the repeats on C5, 5+24, 5USA!!

However if I set series record on 5+24, it works perfectly!

Arhhhh!
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator

Post by wendolene26 »

Berni - I presume as the device uses either wifi or ethernet so therefore is connected to the web as long as it is switched on, the smart box will download it's own update if and when it appears rather than Dad having to do anything in particular (after all it is a smart box)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy