Amazon Kindle e-reader

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

HelenPJ
Risk Rodent
Risk Rodent

Re: Amazon Kindle e-reader

Post by HelenPJ »

I got one as a surprise birthday present from the BF :D

Wonderful gadget .salut I have some PDFs of things like printed-to-PDF documents, HSE Research Reports geek and it is is very easy to bookmark them, makes notes on key points etc
And I do have a fair few leisure books on there as well

I have found it very easy to read in the very bright weather we have had recently (and during the cloudy bits as well)
Memo to self - get a proper cover for it with a built-in light so I can read in bed as well :lol:

Very impressed - and stunningly light to carry around
Helen
Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity
Aristotle
Robbo
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by Robbo »

I use both a Sony eReader and a Kindle 3G Wireless. Both brilliant but the Kindle is in a class of it's own. Pay a bit more and get the 3G, you won't be dissapointed.
After hearing two eyewitness accounts of the same accident, you begin to wonder about history.
Reddwarf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Reddwarf »

What does the 3G do that the other one doesn't. is there an annual, monthly cost with 3G (not really up with 3G) I've seen it on the ipad but not sure if it is worth paying the extra to have 3G any thoughts welcome on this for future reference.

Red
Robbo
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by Robbo »

The 3G Kindle costs more upfront then that's it. It (when within signal as per mobile phones) is connected and you can shop Amazon from wherever. For example, last week I was laying on my sun lounger in Mexico, finnished my book, browsed and bought another that was downloaded to my Kindle within two or three minutes and I was reading again, all without placing a foot down on the warm, white sand. Easy.
After hearing two eyewitness accounts of the same accident, you begin to wonder about history.
Reddwarf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Reddwarf »

but do you need to pay to use 3G in terms of monthly contract and how much does that cost

thanks

Red
redsquirrel
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Occupation: Health and Safety Co-ordinator for a business focused on safeguarding children and vulnerable families.

Post by redsquirrel »

Hi Red,

There's no additional monthly cost if you buy the 3G enabled Kindle - you just pay more for the machine itself, but after that there are no more costs.

I have to say, it's a fantastic system, and I have Kindle on my iPhone, so I can read a book from either device - they sync with each other, so it will even take you to the last page you read. For instance, if I am reading a book on my Kindle before bed, and read up to page 32, I can read the book on my iPhone the next day, and, after syncing for a second, it will automatically take me to page 32......it's great!!

C
"It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once" - Mark Twain
Robbo
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by Robbo »

What he said 'pointing upwards'. I can read my books on home PC, work PC and Kindle and whatever device I use the correct page will be there when I fire it up. No monthly fees, all you pay for after buying the Kindle are the books you buy.
wisedave
Student
Student

Post by wisedave »

Robbo wrote:I use both a Sony eReader and a Kindle 3G Wireless. Both brilliant but the Kindle is in a class of it's own. Pay a bit more and get the 3G, you won't be dissapointed.
Hello,

The mum-in-law wants one...she wanted the 3G wireless, but I can't figure out why? You are saying pay a bit more to get it....can you offer some direction? What I don't want is for her to think she didn't get what she wanted...

Thx,

Dave
hospitalboy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Hospital_boy
Industry Sector: Healthcare/Fire Safety/H&S

Post by hospitalboy »

I bought the standard kindle, which suits me....the 3g version you pay the added cost asa opne off so if you are out and about a lot you can get wireless from any hotspot as you have already paid for it....BUT it is for you to decide what you want it for, and how much you will use the wireless..... ../. ../. HTHs

Cheers ./thumbsup..

HB
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
"If you even dream of beating me you"d better wake up and apologize" - Muhammad Ali

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy