Free Web Sites eg Wix

Continuing Professional Development (CPD) support, advice and sharing. there's so many ways HSE professionals can keep their skills up to scratch, this forum is just packed full of CPD opportunities.

Moderator: Moderators

1nvicta

Free Web Sites eg Wix

Post by 1nvicta »

I'm not sure what the technical implications or restrictions are relating to these sites.

I came across Wix and fairly quickly designed a simple site for my Gardening Services.
Regarding web access I can get to mine diretcly but can't find it if I do a Goggle search it's at http://www.wix.com/elgarparadigm/ladybi ... n-services" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
So I will just use it as a 'display' site which I can put on my business card rather than as a means of trying to get new enquiries e.g. when people type in something relevant as a search e.g. "Gardener Gloucestershire".

This is all new to me and I expect there are plenty of other such sites out there but thought it worth posting this information as it might help someone who needs a simple to design web site,

Bernard
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Re: Free Web Sites eg Wix

Post by kevlarion »

You can register a domain name for about £6 for 2 years and point the domain at your wix page. This means your business card would have your domain name rather than an address controlled by wix who might decide to change it at some time in the future.
I use http://www.UKreg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for this, it also gives you email forwarding so instead of being name@gmail.com (other email services are available etc) you can be info @1nvicta.co.uk
It's fairly easy to set up, gives you control over your web presence and the addresses used, and looks more professional.
For example if you decided wix wasn't for you after all you can make a website with someone else and point your domain at the new address.
Putting your own domain into "trusted trader" sites will also make your domain easier to remember and more attractive to click on.
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
1nvicta

Post by 1nvicta »

Kev,

Crikey I wasn't expecting such a quick and helpful response.

I'll take a good look at this.

Thank you,
Bernard
Reddwarf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Reddwarf »

I think you need to keep any www short because even if you did come up on a search engine i would say people would be reluctant to click on it as it looks to long winded ans potentially not lead directly to a website. i use moonfruit.com it costs about £50 a year and you can have up to 5 website with lots of MB which I don't use in the slightest also you can register a domain name with them so you can then have www. gardenerGloucestershire.co.uk /com (if available).

they have templates already set up but basically it is cutting and pasting and moving things around on the screen. my advice is to get a .co.uk address then people are looking at a google search they know you are in the UK and having Gloucestershire in the address will also help. Don't do the free websites as they have lots of advertising and look a mess and unprofessional for £50 a year you can get something that looks good.

Have a look at my website in my signature strip. I'm not saying it's the best but it is sufficient and i think it looks ok. i got quotes of £2000+ to create the same. Don't think once you have a website work will flood in and don't pay any company to get you on the first page they can't it's all rubbish.

red
1nvicta

Post by 1nvicta »

Red,

Many thanks for all this advice and background info.

Using the web is just one of the ways I will advertise.
I've currently got a full work schedule but don't want to get complacent as I lost one customer last year which took around 25% of my income away and about 4 months to replace.
So I thought I would have a web site to add to the options, but if I have one I want it to be reasonably effective.
I know so many gardeners who have a web site but you need to know who they are to find them which to me seems to reduce the point of having one.

Thanks again,
Bernard
Reddwarf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Reddwarf »

It all comes down to using tags when setting up the pages and trying to use common words several times "gardening" for example but you also have to be careful you don't repeat it to many times as Google will block your site. One trick someone said was just to repeat the key words 100's of times on the page but in white writing so the user wouldn't see it but google would, but i assume google have spotted this one.

thera are lots of free dircetories that you can link your website from but you will get a call with them trying to sell you a package just say no and hang up. Do a websearch on your comepetion and see how google finds them (often through the free directories) and also look at their web page design you need to have something that looks better and gives more information about your services. Lots of photos and even video clips if you have liability insurance then state it answer any questions a customer might have in their mind when looking for your services.

have you been on any business link courses they are free and very good. Also try networking the ione i used for a time was 4networking they cost though so you need to consider that but you can normally go to a couple of meetings for just the cost of the breakfast.

Red
RichB0101
Twitter: @WorkplaceDepot
Industry Sector: Workplace

Post by RichB0101 »

You can get a free website through Weebly (Google search it) - you can either buy a domain for a few pounds (as mentioned elsewhere) and point it to the Weebly site or you can use a free one with them although it tends not to be a very user-friendly address. The advantage of using their site is that they have lots of templates and it's very easy for a non-technical web person to use. I have two sites that I have build through them and I have been very pleased with both.
I have no connection with Weebly (which is why I haven't included a link) and I would certainly be happy to recommend them.
Good luck with that.
Rich

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy