Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

EstherFT
Student
Student

Inspections - risk profiling

Post by EstherFT »

Hi,

After studing the RRC textbook and reading the revision notes of the RRC revision guide, I still have a couple of doubts;

When you speak about inspections, sometimes it is speaking about safety inspections and another times is speaking about the active monitoring, explaining later that these inspections can be sampling, safety inspections, tours. Sorry but I find this confusing, because there are moments that I don't know if you speak about inspections in one way or the other. Doubt; is there anything I can aply to the text to be sure what you are talking about?

About risk profiling, according to what I read my conclusion is that it includes the steps 1, 2 and 3 of the risk assessment. And the risk assessment includes the risk profiling plus the steps 4 and 5. Is this correct? If not, what is the difference between the risk profiling and the beginning of the risk assessment?

Thanks in advance. ../.
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Inspections - risk profiling

Post by Waterbaby »

Good Morning Esther

HSE webpages for various topics have helpful resource links , case studies and related content :)

Please see the following links :

Inspections of the workplace : https://www.hse.gov.uk/involvement/inspections.htm

Risk Profiling : https://www.hse.gov.uk/managing/risk-profiling.htm

Published 2019 : "Risk Profiling from the European Statistics on Accidents at Work (ESAW) Accidents Databases: A Case Study in Construction Sites"
http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar_url ... i=scholarr

Active and Reactive Monitoring - ISO 9001 Help , freely available from RCC ./thumbsup..
https://www.iso9001help.co.uk/free%20te ... Part_1.pdf

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
EstherFT
Student
Student

Post by EstherFT »

Good morning Waterbaby,
Thank you very much, again.
EstherFT
Student
Student

Post by EstherFT »

Hi,
This is in HSE website;
"Inspections of the workplace;
Formal inspections can take different forms and you and your representatives will need to agree the best methods for your workplace. Here are some of the ways inspections can take place.
Safety tours - general inspections of the workplace
Safety sampling (...)
Safety surveys (...)
Incident inspections (...)"
So, safety inspections are not here, but it also says that they are some of the ways inspections can have, so there are missing types here.
Could be understood that the safety inspections are the safety tours (didn't include the other definitions because clearly had nothing to do with the safety inspections).
Then, we can speak about formal inspections, including then the types of active monitoring in the workplace, and we can speak about safety inspections, which would be thte active monitoring done on a regular basis by a supervisor in the workplace he/she is responsible of.
Am I right?
Thanks for clarifying.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

EstherFT wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:53 am Hi,
This is in HSE website;
"Inspections of the workplace;
Formal inspections can take different forms and you and your representatives will need to agree the best methods for your workplace. Here are some of the ways inspections can take place.
Safety tours - general inspections of the workplace
Safety sampling (...)
Safety surveys (...)
Incident inspections (...)"
So, safety inspections are not here, but it also says that they are some of the ways inspections can have, so there are missing types here.
Could be understood that the safety inspections are the safety tours (didn't include the other definitions because clearly had nothing to do with the safety inspections).
Safety tours are like perhaps daily walkabouts which in my opinion should be done as a matter of course just to pick up on simple things
- please don't ask to clarify this. Just a look-see daily walk to let people see you are there, interested and also to keep up good communications for good buy-in.

Then, we can speak about formal inspections, including then the types of active monitoring in the workplace, and we can speak about safety inspections, which would be thte active monitoring done on a regular basis by a supervisor in the workplace he/she is responsible of.
Inspections - see Inspecting the Workplace from Waterbaby's links - https://www.hse.gov.uk/involvement/inspections.htm
Am I right?
Thanks for clarifying.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
EstherFT
Student
Student

Post by EstherFT »

Hi Alexis,
That is exactly where I saw what I am saying. That is the HSE website I am talking about.
I know what is a tour, and that is where I started to be really confused.
Sorry to insist, but I know this is a basic thing that I should have crystal clear at this stage of my studies. My exam is in April.
Thank you both for the support. It is very important to me.
todai

Post by todai »

EstherFT wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:20 am Hi Alexis,
That is exactly where I saw what I am saying. That is the HSE website I am talking about.
I know what is a tour, and that is where I started to be really confused.
Sorry to insist, but I know this is a basic thing that I should have crystal clear at this stage of my studies. My exam is in April.
Thank you both for the support. It is very important to me.
How did your exam go if you have done it ?

Safety inspections - formal assessments of a workplace safety and identification of hazards conditions and practices (followed by remedial action)
Safety survey - usually detailed assessment of one aspect of an organisations management system like (training arrangements)
Safety tours - address peoples aspects of workplace safety by a discussions with them regarding safety procedures and requirements
Safety sampling - specific area chosen to be inspected, around 30 minutes and enables the organisation to focus on one particular area, normally checklist is used here.
EstherFT
Student
Student

Post by EstherFT »

Hi,

I think I passed but I will not be sure until I receive the note from them. If I follow the impression that I had when I finished it, went fine.

Thank you.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

EstherFT wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:18 am Hi,

I think I passed but I will not be sure until I receive the note from them. If I follow the impression that I had when I finished it, went fine.

Thank you.
Good Luck Esther. Let us know when you receive the bit of paper. ./thumbsup.. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
EstherFT
Student
Student

Post by EstherFT »

No doubt about it. Thank you very much.

Esther.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy