Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

CAD
Student
Student

Expected but disappointed

Post by CAD »

Deleted
Last edited by CAD on Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neboshnoob
Student
Student

Re: Expected but disappointed

Post by neboshnoob »

Hi CAD,

First of all, I wouldn't beat yourself up. 40% isn't that far off at all. You clearly have plenty of the knowledge needed already!

I would go for the remark, as you said even if it's just to get more thorough feedback. You never know, you might get the marks you need!

So did your employer steer you toward NEBOSH over NCRQ? Any reason for that? Did you express your exam concerns?

When you tell your manager, DO NOT say you failed. You didn't! You've been referred. You just need more time to digest all the information.

I agree, it does sometimes feel like you're being prepped to pass rather than learn. The fact of the matter is, you need to answer these questions to get the pass.

I wouldn't drop it as you've come too far already.

Some things to think about for next time:

- How was your pace during the exam? Did you answer all the questions you needed to?

- What was your revision strategy? Did it include a 'mock' exam?

- Do you fully understand the command words? It's easy to lose marks here even with the right information.

Apologies if anything here feels obvious. I'm just trying to help.

Fingers crossed on the rest of your results.

Chin up!

NN
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hello future Mr Nebosh of the pass team. ;)

As NN says, THIS IS NOT A FAIL! A fail would mean you had nil marks! This is a refer!!!!!

I was referred too and I went down the "EAR" route (remark) probably for the same reasons as you are thinking regarding feedback.........Don't waste your money for that reason, as there is no feedback worth using in a resit.

Please also take into account that you can also be marked down as well as gain extra marks.

I too understand about the inner panic when told to turn over the paper. We are what we are and if panic is what we are about, that's just us, but, we can do something about it. Trust me, you really can. ;)

NEBOSH exams are set to make sense only to NEBOSH in my personal opinion and I really do think, again only in my own personal opinion, it may just be time for them to reassess their system if only to reduce the individual stress they seem to create.

Go down to Jane Riley's nebosh hints and tips in this link from our downloads https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/d ... h-specific Although this is old, I think it is the best bit of advice to help with the "system" of taking the exam.

Too often, we go off in tangents, incorrectly thinking, that if we put everything and anything in our answer to all and any NEBOSH questions, we will gain marks............NOT SO! We give ourselves grief trying to do this.

I always tried to "fix" every reply. Wrong! Spent time writing loads that had nothing whatsoever to do with the question and the Command Word.

At the time of doing mine, we still had questions on "list". I even put the simple reply in my list, but still had to ruin it all by spending precious time on telling nebosh what the reply meant and what I would do for future safety.... :lol: Of course, this took chunks of time out of the next question which required much lengthier responses.

Go for your resit CAD! Tell your boss what NN has suggested, i.e. "you were referred and need more time to digest the NEBOSH system of reply".

Here are my tips in the lead up to your resit: Not necessarily in this order. lol

1 Gather past papers AND the Examiners reports for same past papers.
2 Do nothing but past exam papers using a system of 9 minutes maximum for each question.
3 Always remember to put the question number before answering any question.
4 Read through the whole paper before deciding which question to reply to first and take the one that you know you know first, remembering to put the correct question number against it. You don't have to go from 1 to 10.
5 Sook a sweetie if you are allowed. It will amaze you how this helps your concentration.
6 When you read your chosen question at the beginning and you have put the question number in, whatever you are thinking ie appropriate legislation applicable etc., scribble that in brackets or in the margin. This can get you marks if you don't finish the question.
7 Make sure, when you mention any Legislation/Regulations, that you write them in in their entirety at least once (and correct BTW) with the abbreviation in brackets, when thereafter, you can just use the abbreviations to save time. This one loses marks if you only mention things like - the fire regulations or management of h and s regs. You must put the entire CORRECT Legislation in with brackets (for future reference) to gain marks. You will receive no marks if you haven't done this.

I could go on CAD, but I have probably bored you by now, so I will get me coat! :lol:

You will be fine just by practicing exam situations with past papers and examiners reports. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
CAD
Student
Student

Post by CAD »

Deleted
CAD
Student
Student

Post by CAD »

Deleted
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

CAD wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:01 pm
Alexis wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:41 pm
I was referred too and I went down the "EAR" route (remark) probably for the same reasons as you are thinking regarding feedback.........Don't waste your money for that reason, as there is no feedback worth using in a resit.

Please also take into account that you can also be marked down as well as gain extra marks.
Thank you for your comments, very kind.

Ultimately, I have nothing to lose if I am marked down (other than the fee of course). I was only tempted to gain feedback as I don't expect NEBOSH to find 5 marks. I would hope that if I was that close, they would have re-checked anyway. Unless of course it's a money making exercise :lol:

Just had an email from the course provider, and a resit is £46 (NEBOSH cost) plus £95+VAT admin fee. Do I have to book it through the same provider or am I able to re-book elsewhere do you know?
I think you are allowed to take any exam wherever you wish as long as you are registered

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
CAD
Student
Student

Post by CAD »

Deleted
Mrs P
Student
Student
Twitter: @CakeTowers
Industry Sector: Local Authority

Post by Mrs P »

Hi CAD,

Please don't beat yourself up over this. You are disappointed, of course you are but you're not going to let it beat you, you're going to-re-group and crack it second time round. It sounds like your time management was fine and there are lots of good exam tips above. I might add that getting someone else to test you on your revision flash cards is always a good acid test of whether you really know something or not. You've said yourself that you think that past exam performance might be holding you back somehow. Maybe you could find an online app that could help you with positive thinking and visualisation, that sort of thing? Perhaps you just need to trick your brain into believing in yourself a bit more, so you can relax a bit and give your best performance. The command words are a peculiar NEBOSH obsession, given that an exam should really be a test of knowledge rather than of question interpretation. However, they're not going to change their stance any time soon so you must do your best to fit in with it. Very best of luck and I'm sure you'll smash it next time.
CAD
Student
Student

Post by CAD »

Deleted
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

CAD wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:03 pm Quick question regarding remarking. I know that feedback isn't provided but do you get a copy of your original exam back and a breakdown of marks per question?

As if you do I see some value in going down the remarking route just to try and workout where marks have been lost?
No you don't CAD is the short answer. You only receive a very short few sentences saying something along the lines of........The examiners referred on this occasion as they did not find the Student to have enough knowledge of the requirements for a pass mark as set out in the NEBOSH exams.............(or words to that effect).

It has been known that some who have gone down the remark EAR route have gained marks in the 4's and 5's. It is a hard decision.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
PaulDonaldson
Trainer of all, master of none
Trainer of all, master of none
Twitter: safety-heart

Post by PaulDonaldson »

CAD wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:01 pm
Alexis wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:41 pm

Thank you for your comments, very kind.

Ultimately, I have nothing to lose if I am marked down (other than the fee of course). I was only tempted to gain feedback as I don't expect NEBOSH to find 5 marks. I would hope that if I was that close, they would have re-checked anyway. Unless of course it's a money making exercise :lol:

Just had an email from the course provider, and a resit is £46 (NEBOSH cost) plus £95+VAT admin fee. Do I have to book it through the same provider or am I able to re-book elsewhere do you know?
CAD
First of all dont give up. You are so close and you only have one to concentrate on now. Secondly I hate providers that rip you off. I know what they do and to charge an admin fee is nonsense, if you are anywhere near us then you can sit for just the exam fee.
Paul
If you do what you always done, you will get what you always got.
http://www.safety-heart.co.uk Lets us put safety at the HEART of your business
CAD
Student
Student

Post by CAD »

Deleted

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy