If Facebook Groups are your thing, join ours and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

NGC1 Fail ... again

If you need help on any NEBOSH Certificate topic, just ask in here. There is no such thing as a stupid question in health and safety!

Moderator: Moderators

Alan!

NGC1 Fail ... again

Post by Alan! »

Flunked my NGC1 for the second time (GC2 and 3 passed first time) , now got to wait till March to resit (that will be over a year since first exam)

Contemplating spending a few £ and doing the NCRQ Certificate in Applied Health and Safety (not diploma), which I could start straight away and prospectively finish before March resits (?)

Has anyone any words of wisdom (do or don't) on the above please ?
wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas

Re: NGC1 Fail ... again

Post by wendolene26 »

Hi Alan and welcome to the forum.

How did you study for the NGC1, distance learning/self study or classroom-based tuition? The reason I ask is I initially started studying via the distance learning/self study method and found this really difficult. Once I got into some classroom tuition, part 1 made a lot more sense to me and was a bit easier to understand.

If you don't mind me asking, how many marks were you short?

I just want to try and give you some pointers as I found it difficult initially, and took 2 attempts to pass NGC1.

Wendo .salut
You are only a millimetre or a millisecond away from the next incident.
GavGregson
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Ports & Marine

Post by GavGregson »

Afternoon Alan,
what course material are you using to study?
are you using just the course provider information or do have you any additional resources available.
I found using the "introduction to.... " course books written by phil hughes and ed ferret the best material to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-H ... b_title_bk

everything you will need to know is in the book,
also they have a quick revision guide as well to complement the book.
however if you read the book and understand it , you should be able to pass unit 1

hope this helps.
kind regards
gav gregson
measure twice, cut once
Safe&Sound
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Safe&Sound »

Hi Alan,

Hope you're well.

Sorry to hear you did not get the pass this time round on NGC1 but congratulations on passing the NGC2 and NGC3 .cheers

Having done NGC and NCRQ certificate I can offer you some practical advice based on my personal opinion. I'd always say NCRQ is better than NEBOSH because NCRQ suits my learning style and I soak up the knowledge better through assignments and practical based learning via reciting information and learning how to sit exams.

However in this case, I personally think you should stick at it and use the next few months to revise NGC1. You're already 2/3 way through obtaining your NEBOSH Certificate and I feel if you were to start a new course (NCRQ) you'd be recapping a lot of the stuff and will be required to do four assignments which may add to the pressure.

Just to tie in with what @GavGregson has said, the book is a valuable resource especially if you have not already got a study book to go by. If you do have a study book already then I highly recommend you pick up a copy of the revision guide here; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Health-Safety- ... H+handbook

This book is a mini bible and I even use it as reference from time to time in my day job! I'd recommend this book, practice some past papers and use the flash cards that are available in the downloads section ../.

At the end of the day the choice is entirely yours and without knowing your background and experience it will be very hard for any of us to give you a direct answer as to what you should do.

I hope this helps and good luck with what ever choice you make :)
Alan!

Post by Alan! »

Thanks for your replies ,

I studied at college one day a week over 10 (?) weeks , so had the tutor there at my disposal.

I have both the big ed ferret book and the small revision guide too, plus I read all the advice threads on here too. So i'm definitely missing the plot somewhere. .scratch

My first exam I scored 34 , my resit I scored 35. So by those statistics I need another 10 resits to pass :roll:

My train of thought was rather than waiting another 4 months for a resit , I could hopefully complete the NCRQ certificate well before then?
stephen1974
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by stephen1974 »

Are they giving you any feed back on what area you are failing on at all?

All I can suggest is mock exams and find a tutor who can assess them and give you feed back. Its might not be your knowledge level, its how you present your answers.

I find writing answers out (not copying answers out) will make you understand and remember them. So take the test quests in ferrests book for example. Answer them without referencing and then check to see if you answers cover every point. Also look for question papers online. They can be found, Rospa also has a nebosh help page https://rospaworkplacesafety.com/2017/0 ... rtificate/

and that has 3 sections on answering questions and helps with the terminology.
Safe&Sound
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Safe&Sound »

Shadowing what Stephen has said, it could be all down to how you're presenting the knowledge or how your revising. Ensure you have a good understanding of the command words and read some past papers especially the examiners feedback. You're actually some what in a good place whereby you have 4 months to focus on one unit of the course taking bitesize chunks out of it.

There's also a fine line between revising and over revising. I tend to revise better by doing small amounts over a coffee throughout the day and have a personal rule to never revise the day or morning before an exam.
My train of thought was rather than waiting another 4 months for a resit , I could hopefully complete the NCRQ certificate well before then?
It would entirely depend on how much time you can dedicate to self study and how disciplined you are. Don't get me wrong, it is not impossible to complete the certificate in 4 months however you must factor in any 'off days' where your job or personal life affects the study pace, there will be days where you will be too tired, stressed or need a break from studying. The course involves reading through the book at your own pace, research, activities and finally 4 assignments. You usually on average get 2 weeks to complete each assignment and then it usually takes 2 weeks to mark and send feedback. Let's say you pass on all 4 right away then that's approximately 4 months.

I'm not trying to put you off and ultimately the decision is yours. If you feel you learn better through self learning and assignments and feel that you will achieve your goal then certainly give NCRQ a try. If however you just need some extra support on exam/revision technique then I'd say stick with NEBOSH as your two thirds the way through already.

Also, isn't there a saying "Third time lucky?" I passed my driving test and my NEBOSH Fire on the third attempt ./thumbsup..
chris carson

Post by chris carson »

Hi, I too failed twice before seeking advice for the NGC1 exam.

Alexis from this forum gave me some excellent advice , always quote the section of the HASAWA 74 which is relevant to the answer required.
For this you get a point you may not otherwise receive. (Also write Health And Safety At Work etc Act 1974 ) in full first time for a point then abbreviate afterwards. Same for the other Acts. PUWER for eg. Write it in full for a point

I also made up wee rhymes to remind me of the sections
Ie. Section 6 ( who made the mix) for suppliers and designers etc.
Section 3 ( Them not me ) Agency,contractors and visitors etc
Section 8 (Who owns the gate) Landlords etc

Silly I know but I got a good pass mark third time around .

Good luck mate !
Towsey
Student
Student

Post by Towsey »

chris carson wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:47 pm Hi, I too failed twice before seeking advice for the NGC1 exam.

Alexis from this forum gave me some excellent advice , always quote the section of the HASAWA 74 which is relevant to the answer required.
For this you get a point you may not otherwise receive. (Also write Health And Safety At Work etc Act 1974 ) in full first time for a point then abbreviate afterwards. Same for the other Acts. PUWER for eg. Write it in full for a point

I also made up wee rhymes to remind me of the sections
Ie. Section 6 ( who made the mix) for suppliers and designers etc.
Section 3 ( Them not me ) Agency,contractors and visitors etc
Section 8 (Who owns the gate) Landlords etc

Silly I know but I got a good pass mark third time around .

Good luck mate !

Such good rhymes. wish i knew them whilst revising!!!

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy