Question and answer help

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Lex1212189
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Question and answer help

Post by Lex1212189 »

Hi, I believe I have a good knowledge of everything learnt in NCG1 but don't know whether I am answering in the 'NEBOSH' way
I understand the command words but still unsure whether my answers are on the mark or way off in terms of style of writing.

Here are 3 questions that are on my e learning course (slight change of wording in each) was just wandering If I could get some feedback. Are my answers too meaty? not meaty enough? Have I truly grasped the command word?

Any help appreciated

Q. Outline 2 components of a health and safety management system
(4 marks)

Policy (Plan) The health and safety policy should establish the overall sense of direction and set the principles of action for the organisation. In order for a policy to be effective it must be signed by the managing director or equivalent which demonstrates management commitment.
Measuring Performance (Check) Is when safety performance is measured against performance standards that are appropriate for the organisation’s risk profile. Measuring performance can be Active using audits or inspections to look premises, plant, people, procedures and systems. Measuring performance can also be Reactive which discovers why controls fail by investigating accidents, ill health, incidents or near misses

Q. Outline the potential breaches of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 if a managing director ignores their legal responsibilities in relation to HS policy
(4 marks)

If a managing director neglected their legal duties in relation to the health and safety policy, they would be contravening The Health and Safety at work act 1974 Section 2 (3) which ensures the absolute duty of all employers to prepare and revise a written statement of his general policy with respect to health and safety. A breach would occur if no policy was written or if a policy was composed but not communicated to all employees. Policy revision is also required when necessary, if systems, procedures or people with responsibility change. This revised policy must once again be brought to the notice of all employees and not doing so, would be a breach of Section 2 (3) of HASAWA 1974

Q. Outline the circumstances were a written health and safety policy is law. (2 marks)

HASAWA1943 Section 2 (3) places an absolute duty on any employer with 5 or more employees to have a written health and safety policy . However
employers' Health and Safety Policy Statements (Exception) Regulations 1975 exempts employers who employ four or less employees from the requirement to write down their health and safety policy.
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Question and answer help

Post by Waterbaby »

Bump ./thumbsup..

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Sorry Lex, I meant to come back to this yesterday and forgot. Thank you WB for prompt. .salut

With all questions the amount of marks to be awarded gives you a clue as to how many areas you need to look for as long as you have read the question a few times to make sure you know what the question is asking and don't reply, as I did, with a big story that didn't relate to the question being asked.

Q1 This is worth 4 marks, therefore I would say you are looking for 4 areas which refer to in the Plan, Do, Check, Act processes, which in my humble opinion, you have outlined and replied as requested. You have taken 2 areas and given 2 scenarios within each.

Q2 Same for this one in my opinion. You have outlined as requested with 4 elements to gain full marks of 4.

Q3 Again, in my view, you have got it Lex. .salut

Good luck Lex. Maybe others have some points to mention too.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Lex1212189
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Lex1212189 »

Thank you Alexis

I believe my knowledge is okay and feel confident going into an exam with my understanding, its just my style of answers that I'm worried about.

Hope I'm on the right track, which according to your feedback, I may be :) :)

LEX

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy