We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Revision help!!! NGC1

If you need help on any NEBOSH Certificate topic, just ask in here. There is no such thing as a stupid question in health and safety!

Moderator: Moderators

DDS2017

Revision help!!! NGC1

Post by DDS2017 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:26 am

Hi All
Well this is the first time for me on a forum so here goes.... I am doing the NGC1 exam in a couple of weeks and I am PANICKING that I don't know anything! I have done the course as a home study so I have only been able to read the course books and make notes... then flashcards etc. Every time I do a past paper example I can't seem to make my brain work and my answers always look different to the examples when I check..... what am I doing wrong??? Any help and guidance would be very much appreciated .scratch

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Revision help!!! NGC1

Post by Alexis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:52 am

Hello DDS. :wave:

A very warm welcome to HSfB and well done you for self-studying. clapclap Is it Distance Learning or E-Learning you are doing?

I went down the Distance Learning route and it is difficult to be sure if you are doing the right things or not, so no worries, we will try and offer some help.

The first thing I would point you to is our Otto's breakdown of what is required for the NGC1. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6133 This can be printed off and used as a guide for what you will need to know in the exam.

Next - we have free downloads that will also help. http://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/ Go into the Nebosh Course Specific bit and you will find lots of helpful downloads.

Thirdly - I think, from what you say, you are maybe not quite up on your Action Verbs, which is causing your answers not to be what NEBOSH require. Scroll down to the Action Verbs bit in the following link and see if that helps. http://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/do ... h-specific

I hope some of this helps and I am sure many of our helpful members will offer further advice for you.

I will send you a PM shortly. ./thumbsup..

Good to have you aboard. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Get Listed for Free on our New Business Directory

DDS2017

Post by DDS2017 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:12 am

Hi and thank you for the reply! I am studying at home so basically out of a text book and notes so it's really hard going! I printed off the documents on your site as well and I am using them.... slowly getting there!

I did a couple of questions today and the information I am putting down is correct so yay!!! Does it matter how you word things? By that I mean I am following the command words, so does the layout matter? Are they expecting it to sound "professional" or is it a case of as long as the information they ask for is in there it doesn't matter how you get it down!

Thanks again! .cheers

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:31 am

DDS2017 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:12 am
Hi and thank you for the reply! I am studying at home so basically out of a text book and notes so it's really hard going! I printed off the documents on your site as well and I am using them.... slowly getting there!

I did a couple of questions today and the information I am putting down is correct so yay!!! Does it matter how you word things? By that I mean I am following the command words, so does the layout matter? Are they expecting it to sound "professional" or is it a case of as long as the information they ask for is in there it doesn't matter how you get it down!

Thanks again! .cheers
Hi. Glad you found our downloads. ./thumbsup.. The layout of your answers isn't a problem. Just remember to put the question number on each question. It would amaze you how many people don't do this!

It doesn't matter if your answers don't sound "professional" as in a report, but they do have to have the required content for what the Action Verbs are asking. For instance - taken from our downloads....

Outline – give the most important features of (less depth than either ‘explain’ or ‘describe’, but more depth than list.
E.g. Outline the sources and possible effects of FOUR non-mechanical hazards commonly encountered in a woodworking shop.

Several non-mechanical hazards could be present including:-
i) dust from sanding and sawing operations, which could lead to lung disorders and possibly cancer.
ii) Chemical hazards from varnishes and glues which could lead to dermatitis, irritation of the airways and drowsiness.
iii) Noise, which could lead to noise-induced hearing loss, tinnitus and stress.
iv) Manual handling hazards which could cause musculoskeletal disorders.
I made the mistake of using an Outline question as having to tell a story and "fixing" the problems. A complete waste of the precious time needed in the exams with not even half a mark extra! They didn't ask me to fix anything, they just asked for the possible effects, not how to fix them should an accident happen.

There is a good method that many people use when answering the questions and that is to read the question, (which your brain will instantly have thoughts on) and list these thoughts on your paper, that way you have an outline of what you are going to put in the answer AND if you get stuck or run out of time, you will gain some marks for your list, providing it is correct of course. :lol:

DDS2017

Post by DDS2017 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:41 am

OK great thank you. Good idea on the list! I may have to remember that one! Every mark counts!!
Total panic now but do I need to know mechanical hazards for NGC1? I haven't seen that in the book yet :o

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:04 pm

DDS2017 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:41 am
Total panic now but do I need to know mechanical hazards for NGC1? I haven't seen that in the book yet :o
You do need to know "hazards" in general with the NGC. You need to know what Regulations are applicable for specific hazards, be they mechanical or something elsee, what the organisations' Legislative duties are and what control systems they have or have to put in place specific to what the question will ask. Hope that makes sense.

You do need to know specific hazards like crushing, correct guards, is training for the equipment in place, maintenance, surrounding areas, moving parts etc etc. The question will specify a scenario and you will then have to know what "control systems" should be in place to avoid what the question may ask.

Hope this helps a bit.

DDS2017

Post by DDS2017 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi Alexis
I think the in depth side of hazards and their controls is NGC2 though, I'm only doing NGC1 this time around. That's one advantage of doing home study, you only take 1 exam at a time so it's less to revise!
I notice from my workbooks that NGC2 is all about hazards and controls etc.

So I basically know what a hazard is and that there are different ones, but we haven't touched on the detail as yet. It's more the management systems and legislations overall.

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:15 pm

.....and you are correct DD!! :lol: Perfect for making sure "one reads the question twice". :lol: :lol:

DDS2017

Post by DDS2017 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:18 pm

.cheers I got one answer right in all this then .bounce

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:42 pm