NC3 - practical report advice

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

liamarchie

NC3 - practical report advice

Post by liamarchie »

Hi all

im currently in the process of writing my practical report, would like to get a bit of advice in regard to how im going about it.

Basically im confident i am able to list some hazards and identify them, however what im not 100% confident in, is the legitimacy of the hazards. Some of the things i'd like to include in my report arent specifically mentioned in my course material so i'd like to find out if im on the right tracks, or if im being overly pedantic and making some problems to be more of an issue than they are. I'm an office worker, looking for a career change into h&s, so my hands on h&S experience is limited

Baring in mind its a manufacturing factory for sheet metals, and wire products

Somethings im on the fence about are as follows:

*there are several inhouse-made sets of stairs, that have steps that arent uniformly spaced apart, in that there isnt a consistent increment each step is set back as you progress up or down. so its a bit of a fun house crazy stairs situation

* the rear factory door is an old wooden barn type door, about 12ft tall. And is secured with a drop bar type fixing, a big plank of wood goes across it. Potential fire hazard since its not easy to open in emergency? Or unnavoidable due to the type of door?

* there are several large machines in the workshop lined up next to each other, there is a man sized gap between them. Often people move through here as a bit of a shortcut to the ajoining area, should this ideally be closed off so it cant be used for this purpose when the machines are being operated?

*we produce un uniform shape and sized products, so the pallet they ship can be different every time. We dont buy them in, but simply throw them together on site crudely, generally only 2 layers, not 3 like a standard euro pallet. and i doubt much consideration is given to the load bearing capacity

*waste materials, wire and sheet metal, are thrown into a skip for recycling. often they protrude from the skip when its not necessarily even full. Should these be cut down to size to ensure nothing is poking out?

* racking/shelving doesnt have any guarding plates at the base to protect from accidental forklift damage, shuld this be a requirement?

* part of the process of weaving wire into panels, requires the wire to be straightened off the roll, which is then laid out in up to 30ft lengths on the factory floor to be fed into the loom for weaving. There is nothing to indicate on the floor this area should be vacated, or poses risk of tripping when in use. Should there be barriers around an area such as this, or at least markings on the floor?

And lastly, it requires 20 'uncontrolled' hazzards to be identified. What if there are good practices already in place to control the hazards, meaning there are very few un-controlled hazards left to document? for the purposes of the test, would it be fine to simply overlook that there are controls in place?

If anyone happens to have any examples of reports, or their old report saved i'd be appreciative if you could share with me as well. I've taken the course on e-learning, and subsequently dont have much experience of the industry other than what i can source online
thanks in advance
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: NC3 - practical report advice

Post by WillPool »

liamarchie

Welcome to the forums :hello2:

If you feel that they are hazards but not particularly high priority then you can list them as such. For instance the steps could be a trip hazard.

As for reports people cannot share them due to plagiarism, NEBOSH will not accept people seeing others reports and as a website, we cannot be seen to be condoning this behaviour. Hope you understand.

There should be information on the NGC3 from your course provider, even if you are e-learning, additionally at the NEBOSH Website.

Good luck with the report ../.

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi Liamarchie. :wave:

A very warm welcome to HSfB. :D

Agree with Willpool.

Some of my own thoughts are:

With the crazy steps - there are specific widths and distances required under the building regulations for new buildings, however, it isn't always possible to tear down these steps and replace them, so what you have to look at is what control measures are/should be in place and is training and supervision being monitored to ensure as safe as possible?

Again with the steps, is there any control measures in place for fire evacuation should the stairs be the only line of escape and what about control measures for disabled people? So you would be looking at Legislation for Fire, HSWA, MHSW, DDA at least.

With the stairs being so squew-wiff, is there a banister, are the stairs lit adequately, is there coloured tape or paint strips on the edge of each stair?

The barn door - Is the official escape route and if so, what does the emergency evacuation say? Is there a plan in place and have the staff been trained in how to comply with company fire procedure? Being a wooden door, are there correct fire extinguishers etc available and are they maintained. Look at the last time the extinguishers were maintained. Is there a maintenance procedure in place to comply and if not, there are consequences for the company should an accident occur.

What you do is to look and see what you personally see. If you see something that looks a bit dodgy to you personally, then you put that down on your observation sheet with what you think needs to happen either immediately, in a weeks time, or a months time to provide a timeline of tasks that you think need done, how the offending situation can be sorted and what H&S laws are possible being breached according to what you have learned within your course.

Pick some good practices to highlight also.
liamarchie wrote: And lastly, it requires 20 'uncontrolled' hazzards to be identified. What if there are good practices already in place to control the hazards, meaning there are very few un-controlled hazards left to document? for the purposes of the test, would it be fine to simply overlook that there are controls in place?
You cannot make up things. If things are being controlled, you cannot ignore that in your report. Your report is as you see it when doing your assessment.

I don't think you should have much of a problem in finding things that could be improved within an engineering workplace.

Look for signage, broken tools being used, slip/trip hazards, fire, noise, walkways etc.

Hope this helps with your thought processes L.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
liamarchie

Post by liamarchie »

Thanks very much for the guidance, its helped me look at things from other angles i hadnt considered.
I should have no problems now when i do the practical.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

liamarchie wrote:Thanks very much for the guidance, its helped me look at things from other angles i hadnt considered.
I should have no problems now when i do the practical.
Good luck lia. .salut I am sure you will do well. ./thumbsup..
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Lots of good advice above.

The variable height stairs reminded me of this I saw a couple of years ago. https://vimeo.com/44807536" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

.salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy