Key words

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Rshekdar

Key words

Post by Rshekdar »

Hello Guys,

If a question says control measures or says prevention strategies. Can we say both mean same? In general English i believe they mean same but during class all my understanding of english language was questioned so am scared now.

Regards,
Ranjit
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Key words

Post by Alexis »

Hi Ranjit. :wave:

Control measures - "Control measures are actions and/or activities that are taken to prevent, eliminate or reduce the occurrence of a hazard that you have identified."

Prevention Strategies as I see it - Looking at different strategies (planning/programmes) to decide why, where, when, how and which Control Measures would work best.

Others may have different thoughts on this Ranjit.

Good luck with your exams. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Rshekdar

Post by Rshekdar »

Well the reason i am relying so much on you guys is most of you are from UK, and also well versed with NEBOSH requirements. My instructor has gone and wont be easily available. So please guys dont mind me asking questions. I have 4 days to prep for IGC1, IGC2. But if I seem to be asking too many questions please do let me know. In exam they wont use action verbs outside those mentioned right like Outline, Identify, give, describe, explain ..... ? I am aiming for distinction so I am going to be asking quite a bit here for next few days.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Ranjit, there is no problem asking anything in here. That's what the site is all about....helping each other where we can. ./thumbsup..

As long as you don't put exact questions from past papers there is no problem. .salut
Rshekdar wrote:In exam they wont use action verbs outside those mentioned right like Outline, Identify, give, describe, explain ..... ? I am aiming for distinction so I am going to be asking quite a bit here for next few days.
No they won't ask trick questions if that is what you are worried about, however, I would just alert you to read the question twice to make sure you understand what they are wanting and whilst writing your answer, keep looking back at the question in case you go off in a tangent answering things they haven't actually asked.

The following is an example from our downloads Ranjit. http://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/do ... h-specific" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Outline – give the most important features of (less depth than either ‘explain’ or ‘describe’, but more depth than list.)

E.g. Outline the sources and possible effects of FOUR non-mechanical hazards commonly encountered in a woodworking shop.

Several non-mechanical hazards could be present including:-
i) dust from sanding and sawing operations, which could lead to lung disorders and possibly cancer.
ii) Chemical hazards from varnishes and glues which could lead to dermatitis, irritation of the airways and drowsiness.
iii) Noise, which could lead to noise-induced hearing loss, tinnitus and stress.
iv) Manual handling hazards which could cause musculoskeletal disorders.

There is no gain in marks for you if you spend 45 minutes on explaining how you would approach such a senario in a real life situation and what Controls you would put in place. The question only asks Sources and possible Effects, not how to "fix" it.

I went wrong with just such answers first time around. I wrote stories instead of just answering the question. :roll:

I am sure you will do well. ./thumbsup..
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Rshekdar

Post by Rshekdar »

Alexis wrote:E.g. Outline the sources and possible effects of FOUR non-mechanical hazards commonly encountered in a woodworking shop.

Several non-mechanical hazards could be present including:-
i) dust from sanding and sawing operations, which could lead to lung disorders and possibly cancer.
ii) Chemical hazards from varnishes and glues which could lead to dermatitis, irritation of the airways and drowsiness.
iii) Noise, which could lead to noise-induced hearing loss, tinnitus and stress.
iv) Manual handling hazards which could cause musculoskeletal disorders.[/i]
/thumbsup..
Well advised as usual. I will make sure i follow these guidelines.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy