Moderator: Moderators

abarnett
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @adb82
Industry Sector: Warehousing

NEBOSH cert HSAW Act sections

Post by abarnett »

I was waiting for my wife to pick me up after my course today (in a pub no less - the hardships!!) and I thought I'd pop in a wee bit of revision.

We've been asked to memorise the relevant sections of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 (just keeping the practice in at calling it that until the end of time!)

I've come up with a narrative version which, I think, works for the sections we've been asked to remember. (either that or it's the two pints of beer talking...)

Would be great to know what you think.

Andy

*edit PS - this isn't a fully blown definition thing - just an aide memoire...

I am an employer. I have a duty of care, as far as is reasonably practicable, to protect the health, safety and welfare of my employees (s2(1)

I am responsible for providing a safe system of work, and safe plant with which to do it (s2(2)a)

To use the plant, my employees will need substances and articles which I must ensure are used, transported, handled and stored safely. (s2(2)b)

I will train my employees to do this and ensure they are instructed, supervised and informed. (s2(2)c)

The workplace they work in must be safe including access and egress around the site (s2(2)d)

To help that I must ensure that the work environment and my employees welfare are safe (s2(2)e)

I must have a safety policy s(2(3)

I will let the TU's nominate safety reps (s2(4) and will consult on matters of safety (s2(6) including safety committees (s2(7)

I also have responsibilities for others in society, like visitors and members of the public (s3) as well as other business tenants in my building (s4). I am also responsible for what happens to my products further down the supply chain (s6)

My employees also have responsibilities for health and safety (s7) For instance, they shouldn't muck about or interfere with any health and safety equipment (s8) - mind you, neither should I or anyone else for that matter! To cap it off,(heartbreakingly for a tightfisted git like me), I can't charge my employees for their PPE.

If I have not achieved above, the HSE Inspector will come calling (s20) and will give me an improvement notice which is not the best (s)21st birthday present ever... (see what I did there!)
Alternatively he will give me a prohibition notice (s22)

I can try to pass the blame on to someone else (s36) but, as the director, it is my corporate body that is liable... (s37)
Last edited by Waterbaby on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change of wording
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: NEBOSH cert HSAW Act sections

Post by Alexis »

Andy, Have a look at Otto's post. ;) Well done for doing revision wherever you have a moment. .salut

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
abarnett
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @adb82
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Post by abarnett »

Hi Alexis,

I'd seen that as well....

Was contemplating updating it for the 2015 syllabus as part of my revision closer to exam time....

Andy
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

abarnett wrote:Hi Alexis,

I'd seen that as well....

Was contemplating updating it for the 2015 syllabus as part of my revision closer to exam time....

Andy
Now that would be very welcomed by us if you do manage to find the time and it didn't interfere with your own personal study needs. ./thumbsup..

I do like your type of study. :D

All the best Andy. clapclap
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas / Renewables / Consultancy

Post by wendolene26 »

Thanks Andy. I am studying NEBOSH Gen. Cert. at the moment and reading this is helpful :D
You are only a millimetre or a millisecond away from the next incident.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy