Consultation launched on doubling maximum sentence for assaulting an emergency worker

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Consultation launched on doubling maximum sentence for assaulting an emergency worker

Post by Waterbaby »

../.

"Anyone who assaults or attacks emergency workers could face longer jail terms, as a consultation on doubling the maximum penalty for the offence is launched today."

Published 13 July 2020
Last updated 13 July 2020

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cons ... ncy-worker

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Consultation launched on doubling maximum sentence for assaulting an emergency worker

Post by Alexis »

Thank you Waterbaby.

I watched a bit of this on the news this morning where they had a fire person commenting on these new potential penalties and he wasn't in favour.

A bit like the way our health and safety professionals try to have people buy-in to the reasons for conforming, this fire professional would rather see it done in a buy-in way also.

Wonder what others think?
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Consultation launched on doubling maximum sentence for assaulting an emergency worker

Post by Messy »

I am TOTALLY against this law on the grounds of its discriminatery overtones

If the same thug spits at a traffic warden on the monday and a firefighter on the Tuesday, the latter offence would in all practical ways be taken more seriously, especially in terms of sentencing

How about if the traffic warden is physically injured? A black eye perhaps. That event may also attract a lesser sentence than the spitting on a firefighter assault . Is it right that 2 workers be treated differently?

That traffic warden may be a on call firefighter with a pager in his/her pocket. Two different sentences depending on what hat the individual is wearing. Crazy!

In my fire service career I have ve been spat at, had a chair thrown at me and even had a drunk vagrant point a gun as I refused an offer of a swig from his bottle which offended him!!!

I was and remain confident that the law of the land provides sufficient protection for 999 workers without any special case mentality being introduced.

There are scores of examples of witnesses to accidents being attacked when they try to help, and other workers assaulted regularly from social workers to bar staff, hotel staff to roadside breakdown people - then what about court bailiffs, bouncers, teachers, college staff , public transport staff - all of who are high risk occupationd in relation to assaults

Don't their lives matter? I hate this change in the law with a vengeance (just in case you havent worked it out 🙄)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy