Is it just me struggling with home working?

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Or are there others who would prefer the the shock of the defective alarm clock, the 05:00 panic ironing of a shirt, the hideous commute, the office politics, the dreadful office coffee machine beverages, the runny breakfast egg down the shirt (for the rest of the day) and the Boss who hasn't got any interpersonal skills or understanding of the real world?

The only constant in my working life is the Boss (as described). I have to admit the lack of the social side of being at work, the change of working practises, the inaccessibility to most of my files and IT services and no site visits - are all slowly grinding me down. Add to that the anxiety I feel about the whole 'what if' side of Covid in the future. (health and work prospects of my family).

I have a friend and colleague who was admitted to hospital earlier this week with Covid. A fit, former military officer who is health and fitness mad has been floored by this bug. His wife and family are distraught and his 2 x kids are working abroad and cannot get home easily. So when I reflect on my world, I realise I have been very lucky compared with 10s of thousands of others, which then makes me feel guilty for be anxious!!

I am a positive, 'glass half full' sort of person and accept positivity is really the foundation for coping with worries like Covid. But recently my positive 'get up and go' nature has definitely got up and went :roll: . I hope it returns soon
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Is it just me struggling with home working?

Post by bernicarey »

Hi Messy
Well I work from home normally, but business is so quiet now I have to keep checking what day of the week it is. :shock:
My email that is usually busy with newsletters and marketing from other random businesses has probably dropped about 60%
I only have a scant handful of permanent clients, the rest is one-off work and training etc, but that of course has all dried up at the moment.
There's only so many times I can check a client is OK, especially if they are furloughed.

One did cause a quite small flurry of activity last week when they went back with limited engineers to their operations as 'White Goods' warranty repairs for major appliance manufacturers. So had to give them some advice on PPE and working procedures for making house calls.
Keeping that under review of course, given the situation with Masks at present.

While the weather is nice I'm making the most of working outside on the garden and the new patio ...

So it is different, even for us that normally are home working....
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: Is it just me struggling with home working?

Post by Blackstone »

HI Messy/Berni,

It's in interesting one.
I'm working from home 2 days a week and in office 3 days a week while alternating with the other EHS person.
I'm finding it ok working from home if i've got clear and structured work to do. I find i'm saving report writing and computer work for home days to make sure I've got clear things to do.
The other issue is the good lady wife works from home normally so I am 'invading her work space' and interrupting her work day.
Some days have been really productive, other days less so.

Regards
Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy