Dementia - Fundraising

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Dementia - Fundraising

Post by grim72 »

I don't usually post much online of a personal nature - I try to keep my online presence for work purposes only where possible but I'm hoping that one or two of the regular contributors/members of this forum might be willing to help me out with raising donations for a charity event I'll be taking part in this August.

I (along with my wife and couple of friends) will be trekking a half marathon along Hadrian's Wall to raise money for the Alzheimer's Society in an attempt to help raise awareness of what they do and to help fund continuing research into finding a cure for the disease.

My dad suffers form both Parkinson's and dementia (the two are often linked together) and watching him slowly decline is devastating to see. Despite being in his mid-70's he had always been fit and active, spending much of his time gardening, walking his dog and enjoying time with friends and family. The impact of becoming a full-time carer for my dad on my mam's health has also been significant - the stress placed on her to care and be there for him 24/7 is unimaginable.

As a family we've been living with dementia, through my dad, for the best part of a decade now - thankfully he continues to remain strong and he continues to retain a sense of humour, he knows who we all are and he can still recall many events/stories form the past. I know that things could (and will, over time) be worse. It has opened my eyes to how this disease effects not only the person with dementia but those that live with them and is the reason I will be doing this trek.

All i am asking is any of you (either as individuals of as the company you work for) would be kind enough to consider donating to my justgiving page to help raise funds - all of which will go towards finding new treatments and, ultimately, a cure for dementia. I still find it hard to get my head around the fact that this disease will ultimately effect 1 in 3 people born in the UK this year - a staggering and frightening statistic.

I'm sure many of you reading this post know someone that has been affected by dementia and this is a chance for you to make a contribution - anything that anyone is willing to donate will be greatly appreciated - to donate please visit my page at

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/graham-halliday2

Thank you to Alexis & Jack for allowing me to post and of course to anyone taking the time to read and/or donate.
Last edited by grim72 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Dementia - Fundraising

Post by Alexis »

Good luck Grim and a special bighug for your Mam.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by grim72 »

Thanks Sandra - daft is it might sound to anyone lucky enough not to have met face to face with dementia - I worry more about her than my dad. Oh and thank you very much for your donation (I am assuming it is was your good self). Greatly appreciated and a great incentive to get out and do some extra training this weekend. The Lomond Hills beckon!
Grim72

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Not too sure about the Lomond Hills this weekend G according to the weather report. :lol: .salut

grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by grim72 »

It'll blow the cobwebs away if nothing else lol

Don't think it's meant to be too bad tomorrow - it was thick with snow last weekend. If I can see the top of it from my bedroom window when I get up in the morning I'll be heading up there :-)
Grim72

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Rather you than me that's for sure!! lol

grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by grim72 »

First training walk completed on Saturday, a 7.5 mile walk up to the top of the Lomond Hill. Great to be able to literally step out of the house and set off walking - great views at the top even if it was bit chilly/blowy when we reached the summit. Home again in just under 3 hours so not too bad at all for our first outing together.

Don't forget you can support us by donating at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/graham-halliday2

start.jpg
top view.jpg
Grim72

grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by grim72 »

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone that sponsored me for my walk this weekend.

It was tough going in horrendous conditions (apparently we were in the wettest part of the uk with over 71mm of rainfall - it felt it too)! The route was changed a little for safety reasons but it was still a tough slog through mud and floodwater for 14.5 miles (the new route also added 1.5 miles to the trek) so I feel like we earned your donations lol.

Between the 600 trekkers that completed the walk we managed to raise over £145k so well worth the aches and pains. Thanks again.

If anyone still wants to help top up the pot please feel free to leave a donation at
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/graham-halliday2
hw1.jpg
hw2.jpg
Grim72

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Well done Graham and All who took part.

grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by grim72 »

Thanks Sandra - a tough but rewarding day. From a safety point of view I'm quite surprised it went ahead - rivers bursting the banks, ankle deep in mud and having to wade through puddle after puddle - but all adds to the experience and I've never been risk adverse when it comes to myself and the great outdoors. Thanks again for the donation.
Grim72

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy