Revoked Driving Licence

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

Shadmeister
Student
Student

Revoked Driving Licence

Post by Shadmeister »

Hi, I recently came across a situation that I would like to throw out for discussion.

Basically on checking somebody's driving licence online I found that their licence was classed as 'revoked', said person stated that it must be a mistake and that they would contact the DVLA to resolve the situation........which I left them to do. When I went back to them their shift had come to an end (early finish on a Friday) and they had left site. On the Monday morning I went to see the person, who told me it was all sorted, their address on the driving licence was different to address on their tax and insurance due to them owning a house (licence address) and renting on a long term basis near the site (tax and insurance address), this meant they had to fill out the appropriate form and return it to the DVLA........sounded feasible.........checked on-line again, no change in status, decided to investigate the situation with the car they were driving and it turned out that the MOT had expired............got the relevant manager involved and the person was told that we didn't want their car on site and that they couldn't be driving as not only was their licence invalid but their car was on the road illegally which made their insurance, etc, invalid.

On discussion, we had several different trains of thought, what are yours?

I personally thought if he attempted to drive any car on site or on a public highway then we had to report him, as a duty of care to others......felt we would be negligent if if not.......especially, if god forbid it, there was an accident.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Revoked Driving Licence

Post by bernicarey »

Well you have 2 basic options; ignore it and be complicit in their criminal actions, or report them.

They have been feeding you a line.
As far as I'm aware, any revocation is not resolved by 'submitting a form'; it usually requires a test to be retaken.
Have you looked at the following?

https://www.gov.uk/report-untaxed-vehicle

https://www.gov.uk/report-no-mot

Interestingly, you can only report a vehicle with no MOT if it’s being driven. You can’t report it if it’s parked on the road. .scratch
Some info here too: https://www.themotoringlaw.uk/revoked-licence/
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Mrs P
Student
Student
Twitter: @CakeTowers
Industry Sector: Local Authority

Post by Mrs P »

Yep, you've got yourself a liar. I'd report him. Probably nothing will happen, but you've done your bit if it does. If he's coming back to your place I'd double-check any other paperwork he's given you.

Mrs P
Shadmeister
Student
Student

Post by Shadmeister »

bernicarey wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:28 pm Well you have 2 basic options; ignore it and be complicit in their criminal actions, or report them.

They have been feeding you a line.
As far as I'm aware, any revocation is not resolved by 'submitting a form'; it usually requires a test to be retaken.
Have you looked at the following?

https://www.gov.uk/report-untaxed-vehicle

https://www.gov.uk/report-no-mot

Interestingly, you can only report a vehicle with no MOT if it’s being driven. You can’t report it if it’s parked on the road. .scratch
Some info here too: https://www.themotoringlaw.uk/revoked-licence/
Thanks Berni, exactly.

As you say it 'usually' requires a test to be retaken but there's no real clarity or ability to find out why it has been revoked UNLESS you are the licence holder from what I can see, so if he's telling the truth then it seems a little harsh to report them, however, they were given a chance. We basically advised against driving the car home (could easily organise a lift) and told them that the car was not allowed on-site until they had hard evidence to support there story..............they then booked the rest of the week off to deal with it so if they return on Monday with no evidence that they have a legit licence then they will be reported.

As you say, its quite strange that you cant report a car for lack of MOT unless its being driven, surely everything else is invalid (such as insurance and car tax) so it would need to be SORN........wouldn't it?

I think your right Mrs P but part of me feels that the person has just made a stupid (but serious) mistake...........doesn't seem the sort to do such a thing on purpose and the story does make sense but ignorance isn't innocence eh.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Shadmeister wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:14 pm .

As you say it 'usually' requires a test to be retaken but there's no real clarity or ability to find out why it has been revoked UNLESS you are the licence holder from what I can see,
Well that's it, as far as you're concerned, he hasn't got a License, therefore he's driving illegally. Even if it is the most innocent of DLVA screw-ups, he's not allowed to drive.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Shadmeister
Student
Student

Post by Shadmeister »

bernicarey wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:35 pm
Shadmeister wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:14 pm .

As you say it 'usually' requires a test to be retaken but there's no real clarity or ability to find out why it has been revoked UNLESS you are the licence holder from what I can see,
Well that's it, as far as you're concerned, he hasn't got a License, therefore he's driving illegally. Even if it is the most innocent of DLVA screw-ups, he's not allowed to drive.
:thumbup: Exactly. Haven't seen him since as he's been told if we hear or see him driving he will be reported............could be interesting next week.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy