Management Company Liability...?

Post all your health and safety law questions in here, whether it's case law, general law, individual Acts or Regulations you are challenged with, we are all here to help.

Moderator: Moderators

bas12345

Management Company Liability...?

Post by bas12345 »

Hi All,

I'm a new member with a very specific legal query.

I bought a flat under which is my allocated parking space. Under the plan on the lease there is nowhere specifically allocated for bin storage. The management company have sighted the bins and recycling in an area that if I park my car and motorbike as per my lease, the bins cannot be removed by the refuse collection company and access to the bins by residents places my property at risk of damage. To be reasonable and helpful, I have parked my vehicles slightly back of the parking space, not impinging anybody else. However, my property has been damaged, to the tune of more than £4K. There are no signs up in the parking area disclaiming liability, but then is it really the management company that are liable, or is it me as the lessee (or am I the leasor!?). Even though I didn't locate the bins there?

My lease has an expressed quiet enjoyment covenant within it. My lease is not with the management company, but with some kind of land owners company, I think I may have a share in as a lease owner? The management company are some kind of third party?

I have investigated a number of more suitable (in my opinion) alternative locations and am going to propose these to the management company.

What is the best I can hope to get out of this situation? A successful claim for damages to my property? Re-siting of the bins, at the expense of the management company?

Any advice gratefully received?

Bri
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Re: Management Company Liability...?

Post by kevlarion »

Don't think this really comes under health and safety, damage to property is something you should speak to a lawyer about and give them a copy of the lease to read, the devil is in the detail about whether that parking space is designatged for parking only, assigned to you, and the bins which are being kept in it are someone elses responsibility... you would then need to prove a causual link between the damage, and a factor that is under someone elses control, so that you can claim that other person for your loss.
In the meantime I would talk to the land owner about where the bins are sited so that you can use your parking space unencumbered.
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
bas12345

Post by bas12345 »

Thanks Kevlarion.

Hhhmmmmm, perhaps you're right and i've spoken 'unofficially' to some property lawyers but I can't really afford to instruct one to act on my behalf. I'm trying to get a feel for if I have any grounds to even consider bringing a case against them. If so, I will look to take it to the small claim court and represent myself.
1. Parking space is for my sole use, as a parking space only.
2. The management company control where the bins are sited and the damage was caused by people accessing the bins, this is out of my control.
3. I'm proposing alternative sites to locate the bins, such that future damage does not occur.
Cheers
bas
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi bas and Welcome. :wave:

Terrible situation you have there. Like Kev, I too would think you need to speak to a lawyer, however, as you point out, this could be major extra expense, so may I suggest having an initial discussion with your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

The C.A.B. do have lawyers available for advice and even would, in some cases, attend court with you and act on your behalf. They are excellent at advising and I personally would recommend approaching them.

As for the H&S side of things, I am not entirely sure the situation you describe could not be a potential hazard, so maybe, just maybe, there may well be H&S implications that a lawyer could incorporate into the brief.

Someone else may come in with some H&S replies for you.

Good luck to you bas. Hope it works out in your favour and would like to hear, if possible, how it turns out.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

Hey Bas,

Welcome to the forums :D :wave:

Glad to have you with us and I hope you get your issue sorted.

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
HelenPJ
Risk Rodent
Risk Rodent

Post by HelenPJ »

Hi Bas,

If you live in England or Wales, have a look at this website ./thumbsup..

http://www.communitylegaladvice.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and here for contact details, including Helpline
http://www.communitylegaladvice.org.uk/en/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We are a free and confidential service paid for by legal aid, which helps people deal with their problems through a helpline, website and leaflets.
hope this helps :wave:
Helen
Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity
Aristotle
HelenPJ
Risk Rodent
Risk Rodent

Post by HelenPJ »

If you live in Scotland, Scotland Legal Aid Board Online
http://www.slab.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Northern Ireland Legal Services Commission
http://www.nilsc.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
./thumbsup..
Helen
Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity
Aristotle

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy