Monday 14th 2018

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

nige b
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: groundworks

Monday 14th 2018

Post by nige b »

Good Morning from a sunny W London . another clear diary day so its chase up CHAS and SMAS

have a good one all
Nigel
whatever the future im a happy bunny? Its now the future and I AM a happy bunny
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Monday 14th 2018

Post by Waterbaby »

Good Morning Nige and All :hello2:

Grey and cloudy but dry so far ./thumbsup..

Have a great day !!

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Morning All

Looking for a quiet day doing document reviews.

Yesterday was one problem after another.

Started off with a simple job of some woodwork painting in the new kitchen, skirting boards, door etc, which was going fine.....
Then I noticed the radiator was warm, despite the heating being off.....Ummm .scratch
Took a look at the 3 Port (Y Plan) Valve under the water tank in the airing cupboard, instead of being at Water, it's at Mid, therefore some supply to both Water and Heating... .scratch
Decide that is the priority over the painting, so start fiddling, with the valve that is very difficult to get to.
Take the electrical motor bit off the mechanical bit and it works perfectly, Moving between H - M - W as and when it should. Put it back on and it's only moving between H and M .scratch

Eventually work out that the external lever on the Motor part is just catching on another pipe, and that's what's restricting it. last time the Motor unit was disturbed as about 3 years ago when it was changed...

So got that sorted.
Then I realise that while I've been struggling in the space under the tank, I've somehow nudged the shower Twin Head pump and the push on fittings on the hot side are both now dripping/leaking
.... then I discover the isolator for the hot side is stuck open... :evil:
Fortunately I have a spare isolator up the shed, unfortunately it's only a Gate Valve, not a stop cock so it allows a small dribble of water through :evil:

Then I can't get the leak to stop from the 2 push fittings, but fortunately I have the connecting pipes, with compression fittings (yeah), that went on the previous shower pump lurking up the shed still... see, I knew they might come in useful someday.
So I end up changing both of the flexible connecting pipes while there is very hot water dribbling through....
3 hours after I'd started, all fixed.
So much for the painting getting done yesterday.....

Have a good week everyone .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Berni: you have my sympathies as plumbing is my weakest area of DIY and I have been close to tears before now trying to fix a leak, remove an airlock - or like you fix a problem only to cause another!!!!

But your post is an important one for wives &partners here (& Mrs Messy). If your chaps insists on storing that worn out widget, or a rusty tin of bits down the shed - just in case- then this story shows they can be useful. 😊

I have taken the day off as I am still suffering jet lag/disturbed sleep and extreme grumpiness 😊 from my recent travels. I expected to sit in the garden with a book but Mrs Messy insists we should go and buy bedding plants from the garden centre. You can guess what I will be doing this afternoon!!

TBH, I look forward to a bit of garden tinkering. It's much less stressful than plumbing😉
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Good Morning Nige, WB, Berni, Messy and any other DIY enthusiasts out there! :lol: :lol: :wave:

Sort of sunny here. .scratch It is warm. Just a little hazy sunshine. :|

I have a billion things to do today, starting with sorting out an old members' problem. ;)

Whatever your Monday, stay safe. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

Good afternoon y'all :D

GorJus sunny day up here for a change. We even had a meeting outside on the bench but had to come in as it was too hot for my baldy head :lol:

I declare this a national summer's day holiday. i.e. summer this year is on this day and we should celebrate it whilst we can!

Have a braw day whatever you are all up to.

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy