Evening!

Introduce yourself in here if you like :wave:

Moderator: Moderators

Johnlh

Evening!

Post by Johnlh »

Hello,

I’m new to the forum (obviously) and just looking for advice in relation to a career change.

I’m currently a serving police officer in the Met (12 years). I’ve worked in various departments over the years so have a sound knowledge of investigations and prosecutions. At the moment I work in a frontline firearms role. Prior to joining the police I spent 4 years as an apprentice electrician so have site experience as well.

I’m interested in completing the NCRQ certificate initially as it will work better around my current role and the learning style appeals to me.

My main concern is trying to find a job with a lack of hands on experience. In my daily job I’m always conducting dynamic risk assessments, however, I appreciate it’s not the same as putting it on paper.

I’m trained in all sorts, such as:

CBRN initial responder
Acid attacks
Advanced/ballistic first aid
Manual handling
Interviewing/investigations
Etc etc blah blah

Do you think these skills are transferable into the H&S industry? I’ve read a few threads from people struggling to find jobs with qualifications coming out of their ears so my main concern is starting on this path with no real prospect of getting a job at the end of it.

Thanks in advance

John
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Evening!

Post by Alexis »

Good Evening and welcome to HSfB John. :wave:

In reply to your question
Johnlh wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:29 pm Do you think these skills are transferable into the H&S industry?

I’ve read a few threads from people struggling to find jobs with qualifications coming out of their ears so my main concern is starting on this path with no real prospect of getting a job at the end of it.
I would say, with your background, you will have transferable skills to take forward to a H&S position, however, as you know, you will require the necessary recognised qualifications and finding any suitable jobs nowadays has no guarantee anyway!

As far as finding employment after studying with NCRQ, good as they are and well praised by their students, at the moment and without having any statistics on how many potential employers are in acceptance of these IOSH Recognised qualifications, it may be a bit more difficult to gain a suitable role if running against other candidates with NEBOSH qualifications, especially if they have the NEBOSH Diploma.

I do personally think (my own opinion only) NCRQ is a great way of studying and do provide learning on how to apply your knowledge in the workplace rather than learning how to answer questions the NEBOSH way. If you go down this route and take it to Diploma level, I see no reason why you couldn't secure a good H&S position.

If you can perhaps gain a voluntary position shadowing a H&S Advisor, this would provide further experience for your CV, which you can easily adjust to lean towards the H&S things you have/are already doing in the police force.

Hope this is of some help to you John.

Look forward to hearing what you decide.

You can be assured, that our members will be with you all the way should you decide to go down the H&S path by any route. ;)
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Johnlh

Post by Johnlh »

Hi Alexis,

Thanks for the reply. That was my only concern with the NCRQ, but I personally think it’s a better fit for me, as you said if I complete it to diploma level that should help.

Volunteer work is a good shout. I know a few people who run construction companies so I’m sure I could get involved for a few days. It would be good to see if it’s the right job for me as well!

Thanks again
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Johnlh wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:26 am
Volunteer work is a good shout. I know a few people who run construction companies so I’m sure I could get involved for a few days. It would be good to see if it’s the right job for me as well!

Thanks again
That's great John! Look forward to hearing how you get on.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
CAD
Student
Student

Post by CAD »

Deleted
Last edited by CAD on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnlh

Post by Johnlh »

Hi Chris,

Thanks mate, I may be in contact at a later date if I need any tips!

I know life in the control rooms aren't much better, seems pretty stressful on a busy day!

I'm just waiting for pay day and I'll be signing up to the NCRQ. I've been reading lots of views and opinions on both and I feel the NCRQ is better for me. I'm more of a practical learner and although a lot of what I do is law/legislation I never enjoyed learning verbatim.

Are you going for the full diploma?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy