New to the forums? A tip to get you started...

Introduce yourself in here if you like :wave:

Moderator: Moderators

PeteHLG

Re: New to the forums? A tip to get you started...

Post by PeteHLG »

Hi to all,

As can be seen from my username, my name is Pete or more formally and stating the obvious, Peter if preferred.

I am a Criminal Defence lawyer, working all over the South East, largely in Beds, Herts, Cambs.

I have experience of defending Health and Safety prosecutions, and am familiar with the relevant legislation, eg Health and Safety at Work Act.

For various reasons i am looking to break away from criminal defence work, and the Criminal Justice system per se, and also the Law, in so far as defending and or prosecuting or litigating are concerned, and into Health and Safety; in effect a career change.

I hold an LLB Honours degree in law, but as stated the only experience i have of Health and Safety is that of defending prosecutions.

I am seeking advice as to how to enter the Health and Safety profession, and which qualification would best suit, either a NEBOSH of one variation or another or the NCRQ.

I would also like to get suggestions, feedback on as to how to obtain experience in order to progress my transition; paid or unpaid voluntary or shadowing a seasoned professional. All ideas and feedback welcome.

Thanks to all whomever read this.

I look forward to hearing from anyone.

Best regards,

Pete HLG
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Well hi there Pete or Peter and a very warm welcome to HSfB. :wave:

Very interesting introduction. You are the first criminal lawyer we have had in our forums if I remember correctly. ;)
PeteHLG wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:31 pm
I am seeking advice as to how to enter the Health and Safety profession, and which qualification would best suit, either a NEBOSH of one variation or another or the NCRQ.

I would also like to get suggestions, feedback on as to how to obtain experience in order to progress my transition; paid or unpaid voluntary or shadowing a seasoned professional. All ideas and feedback welcome.
To answer your first question on which qualification would best suit your new career aspirations. I would suggest your mind, (given your daily lawyer brain work), should be one that would be suited to the NEBOSH "speak" way of doing an exam paper?

If the above seems to suit your way of working, then I would suggest you should go for the NEBOSH General Certificate, perhaps even in a block course. I am of the view that until the business world get their heads around the up and coming (and recognised by IOSH) NCRQ system, they still seem to be, on the whole, advertising for NEBOSH qualifications.

Of course, being that you have no H&S experience per sa, NCRQ courses would most certainly be able to enlighten you on that front and with your experience in the law, what an interesting way to study! You have a lot of the "hands-on" aftermath knowledge of what happens when H&S is not done in the workplace, so............good option too.

I wish I had something constructive to offer with regards to how many people, after completing the NCRQ, do gain interviews and jobs.

With regards to your second query on how to gain shadowing etc. This is the 50 dollar question that many ask. However, we have had some of our members who managed to secure some voluntary work experience and who later went on to find good H&S jobs.

The best way to find shadowing/voluntary positions is to knock on doors of local businesses, or e-mail them with details as you have done here. It would probably be worthwhile contacting your local Safety Group, joining up and attending their meetings. This would help you network and you may well find you will have a lot to offer them also. A good way of networking in the H&S World Peter.

You can find your local group in the following link. http://www.safetygroupsuk.org.uk/local-groups/

I would also suggest you look at your CV, see where you could cut it down a little, do a short to the point cover letter to send to potential businesses for voluntary/shadowing work and throw it out locally. Nothing ventured?

Hope some of the above is useful to you Pete.

Just a few things that HSfB can offer when you start your study.

1 Our main site pages, with free downloads, Directory, social media pages, jobsite etc can be accessed by clicking the big logo at the top left hand corner of this page https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/
2 We have a Search function at the top right hand site of this page, which will give you access to loads of past posts. One you can try is NEBOSH v NCRQ.
3 We also have a Search function at the foot of each individual set of study areas, where you can search just within that area. A good source if looking for something specific.

That's about it for the moment Pete.

One word of warning though.................... hsfbaddict

Good luck with your new venture. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
PeteHLG

Post by PeteHLG »

Hi Alexis,

Apologies for the delay in responding your very much appreciated and insightful reply to my post.

I have decided to study for a NEBOSH qualifictation, whilst " networking" to seek voluntary work/ shadowing, and hopefully leading on to some consultancy work.

Thank you again for your constructive assistance.

Regards,

Peter
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

PeteHLG wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:00 pm Hi Alexis,

Apologies for the delay in responding your very much appreciated and insightful reply to my post.

I have decided to study for a NEBOSH qualifictation, whilst " networking" to seek voluntary work/ shadowing, and hopefully leading on to some consultancy work.

Thank you again for your constructive assistance.

Regards,

Peter
Hello again Peter,

No trouble at all to have a delay in responding. Life gets in the way at times. ;)

Well done on choosing your preferred study route including the networking scenario. .salut

Look forward to hear from you in our forums when you start your new exciting journey.

Good luck Peter.

markholly
Student
Student

Notifications

Post by markholly »

Hello,

I have posted once or twice and have also commented on other peoples posts but have never had a notification telling me that another person has commented on any of these. Is this the 'norm' or do I need to alter some settings?

Thanks in advance

Mark .salut
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Re: Notifications

Post by Alexis »

markholly wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:58 am Hello,

I have posted once or twice and have also commented on other peoples posts but have never had a notification telling me that another person has commented on any of these. Is this the 'norm' or do I need to alter some settings?

Thanks in advance

Mark .salut
Hello Mark. :wave:

There is a function in your profile preferences which asks whether you want to be notified by default (yes-no). I have just checked yours and it was set to no.

I have reset this for you to say "yes". You will be notified now. ./thumbsup..

If you click on your own username, it will take you to your profile.

Look at the right hand side of that page and you will see your total posts.

Click on that link and it will show all your posts with replies. :) .salut

Angelfc67

Post by Angelfc67 »

Afternoon all,

My name is Ross and I work in H&S within social care. Been a bit busy of late with this whole pandemic thing......

Joined as I'm studying Level 5 in occupational H&S so looking to get some tips form you all on here.

I'm also reviewing some of our policies at present particularly fire and I've had some discussions with Scottish Fire and Rescue who seem not to keen on the fire risk assessment sheet to be a tick box with comments- any one else had that experience with them? We have a similar format to the one on the download part of the pages on here so not quite sure why they are saying different (although seems different guidance depending on the local authority)

Anyway looking forward to good discussion.

Cheers.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Angelfc67 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:49 pm Afternoon all,

My name is Ross and I work in H&S within social care. Been a bit busy of late with this whole pandemic thing......

Joined as I'm studying Level 5 in occupational H&S so looking to get some tips form you all on here.

I'm also reviewing some of our policies at present particularly fire and I've had some discussions with Scottish Fire and Rescue who seem not to keen on the fire risk assessment sheet to be a tick box with comments- any one else had that experience with them? We have a similar format to the one on the download part of the pages on here so not quite sure why they are saying different (although seems different guidance depending on the local authority)

Anyway looking forward to good discussion.

Cheers.
Hey Ross. :wave: A very warm welcome to HSfB.

I am sure our fire professionals will come in when they have a moment with some information on your query.

Look forward to following your Level 5 journey. .salut

Devro.63

Post by Devro.63 »

First time poster!

New to the board, to introduce myself I am partnered with Outsource Safety Aus,

Getting the business up and running.

If anyone has any tips please let us know

Cheers
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Hi there Devro and welcome to HSfB. :wave:

Sorry to have to have edited your link on your first post, but it contravenes the Terms and Conditions of our forums.

Any specific problems you are concerned about with the health and safety of your new business, by all means please ask. Our members are exceptional in helping others with their experiences and advice.

Good luck with your new business.

Benelli87

Post by Benelli87 »

Hi I'm Ben I'm currently a tiler but I'm looking to get into health and safety the only qualification ive got is safety for managers ncrq. Where could I start? Any help will be greatly appreciated
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Benelli87 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:54 pm Hi I'm Ben I'm currently a tiler but I'm looking to get into health and safety the only qualification ive got is safety for managers ncrq. Where could I start? Any help will be greatly appreciated
Hi there Ben and welcome aboard. :wave:

This is a past post of ours which has good posts initially to have a look at. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50813&p=363874&hili ... ma#p363874

Since you have already done an NCRQ course, perhaps this would be the best place to have a look at in the first instance. Have a wee look at this overview of HOW to study and learn H&S with recognised qualifications at the end. https://www.shponline.co.uk/career-deve ... -the-ncrq/

The other place to check out is NEBOSH. https://www.nebosh.org.uk/qualification ... rtificate/

After having a look at the above Ben, go to our General or NEBOSH section in the forums and have a wee look at some of the posts. You can also use our search function at the top right hand corner of this page. I keyed in NEBOSH V NCRQ for this link. search.php?keywords=nebosh+v+ncrq

NEBOSH qualifications (general certificate) are still the preferred qualifications adverts are asking for, although NCRQ are coming up fast also.

After having a look at the links I have put in this post and are still confused, which you probably will be ;) put another post in our General Section and others will respond. We are a friendly bunch in here. :lol:

Hope some of this helps initially.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy