Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

rocketman
Student
Student

How detailed is the NCRQ Diploma?

Post by rocketman »

Hi all,

I am currently doing the NVQ 5 in H&S, I am finding it okay but don't feel I am learning as much as I'd have hoped.

I am considering paying for the NCRQ Diploma out of my own pocket, just to accelerate my learning, and gain an extra qualification.

My question really is how far in depth does the Diploma go? I have done the NGC and found that I learned a lot of information in a short space of time, but not necessarily in depth. I would have liked to do the nebosh Diploma but feel I would need classroom learning (I know NCRQ is distance learning, and I am find with that) and I can't really take the time off work, plus it is way too expensive.

Does the NCRQ Diploma go in as much depth as the NEBOSH Dip?
Does anyone have any details of what it covers (apart from what's on the NCRQ webpage)?
If anyone has done both the NCRQ and NEBOSH Diplomas could you tell me if you NCRQ Dip covers as much information as the NEBOSH Dip?

Thanks

Rocketman
CMIOSH :D
hardhat

Re: How detailed is the NCRQ Diploma?

Post by hardhat »

Hi Rocketman,

NCRQ and NEBOSH are very different in that way. You ask about “information” - NEBOSH probably teaches you more “information” although there’s not much in it. So if you are looking at knowing everything go there is to know about a particular hazard, NEBOSH is probably the way to go, and may supplement your NVQ quite well.

The NCRQ approach is to say “we are not going to teach you information - that is easy to find as and when you need it on google”. NCRQ is more about a very in-depth UNDERSTANDING of subject areas, focusing on you ability to apply concepts to real life and a very detailed critical analysis of scenarios etc.

Personally I think the NCRQ approach is the way forward, loved every minute of it, and gave me an understanding and skills that I use every in my work. It is certainly much more about competence than learning facts. But for that reason perhaps it is not what you are looking for if it is more information you are looking for - especially if you have an NVQ where you have demonstrated your skills to a certain extent. I normally wouldn’t hesitate to recommend NCRQ, but maybe NEBOSH would be more suited?

Hope this helps a little bit - PM if you want any more info
rocketman
Student
Student

Re: How detailed is the NCRQ Diploma?

Post by rocketman »

Hi Hardhat,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply, gives me plenty to think about.
CMIOSH :D

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy