Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

CAD
Student
Student

NCRQ and future job prospects

Post by CAD »

Deleted
Last edited by CAD on Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SKD
Student
Student

Re: NCRQ and future job prospects

Post by SKD »

Hi, I'm one of the first Group of students who completed the diploma almost 2 years ago.

NCRQ is a new course compared to NEBOSH that will be the reason not many have heard if it, also a lot of NEBOSH Diploma holders believe that NEBOSH is the top dog but the truth is NCRQ offer a modern style of learning (which isn't just book based), but more and more job adverts are now asking for NEBOSH/NCRQ or equivalent.

I had a job interview once and I was asked about the qualification as the interviewing panel had not heard of it after I explained the interview panel was interested and impressed in what the course offered.

The NCRQ Diploma is no mickey mouse course, its a level 6 just like NEBOSH, You can become a graduate member of IOSH once completed and even move onto Chartered membership.

Next week I am starting an MSc in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management, this is possible because the NCRQ Diploma meets the standard required by the university.

I will happily study with NCRQ again in the future, I have learned a lot from the diploma.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

Regards

George
GavGregson
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Ports & Marine

Post by GavGregson »

good afternoon CAD.
all I can say really is that qualifications get you an interview, experience gets you the job.
in regards to qualifications, there are different routes to go down, NEBOSH/NCRQ/NVQ etc. I would pick what is right for your career .
( certainly speaking to the old boys - they will tell you NEB dip is the only way to progress within safety, this is because this was the only way to progress for a very long time. )
however thankfully things have began to charge and recruiters are looking at alternative quals, however the majority still run down the IOSH/NEBOSH route when advertising jobs because they don't know any different. this make take 3/5 or 10years to change the mind-set,
in the mean time, get as much exposure to safety & health as possible , and pick what's right for your career.

kind regards
Gav
measure twice, cut once
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi there CAD and a very warm welcome to HSfB. :wave:
CAD wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:36 pm
Very long story short, my current employer have made it somewhat difficult for me in enroling onto the NEBOSH General Cert despite promises when I joined (last year) that they would pay for my studies. I am currently in a position now where they have agreed to fund my NEBOSH qualfication however have placed a number of (in my opinion) unrealistic stipulations around my study making a difficult qualification even more difficult.
If your employer is going to fund your NEBOSH General, but placing stipulations on it and although I don't know what these stipulations may be, it is quite normal for employers who fund such to make stipulations.
These vary, but can include staying with the organisation for x-amount of years after achievement of the qualifications and if leaving prior to the agreed time-frame, to have to pay back some of the costs involved.
They may even suggest no promise of a H&S position afterwards, or if you are referred, they would not pay the resit, in fact, may even terminate your employ.
So......this is the norm and not aimed at you personally in my view. ;)
I have been researching suppliers of the course and come across the NCRQ and to be honest this course ticks all my boxes, the main one being my habit of freezing in exams. This option eliminates my concerns around that, and the study method fits better with my way of learning.

My only concern with this option is how future employers will see this qualification. When I've spoken to my manager he basically said that it was a mickey mouse qualification and would not give it the time of day. However, I do feel that there are other factors at play.
I would not call the NCRQ qualification a mickey mouse one. This qualification is approved by IOSH, so maybe you could explain that to your MM boss adding that if he looks at the website of NCRQ, he will see the Tutors are all fully qualified respected members of the health and safety industry.
Are there any employers here that would disregard this qualification during the recruitment process and if so why?
This is the big $64,000 question regarding a young organisation such as the NCRQ one.

I do know we have many members who have successfully completed, or are currently going down the NCRQ route and they all find this method of learning much more hands-on and enjoyable.

What I do not know yet is just how employers see this course in comparison to NEBOSH, nor do I know of anyone yet who has gained a health and safety role with just the NCRQ qualifications. This is not to say people have not found positions with this qualification.

If any NCRQ professionals are viewing this post, we at HSfB would be very grateful if they could provide further knowledge of this scenario please. .salut

There is, sadly, no definitive reply to your conundrum of NEBOSH v NCRQ, but we do have past posts with a few insights that may, or may not help. ;)
search.php?keywords=nebosh+v+ncrq

Good luck whichever way you chose CAD. .salut

Remember we are here for any study you decide on and our main site pages are full of free downloads to help. You can access the main site by clicking the big logo at the top left hand corner of this page.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
CAD
Student
Student

Post by CAD »

Deleted
Last edited by CAD on Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SKD
Student
Student

Post by SKD »

To help you decide; here are some jobs that mention NCRQ as well as others, I found all these on one page on indeed.

https://www.indeed.co.uk/rc/clk?jk=2b37 ... 78cc&vjs=3
https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/OCR-Recrui ... Ncrq&vjs=3
https://www.indeed.co.uk/rc/clk?jk=6286 ... d71a&vjs=3
https://www.indeed.co.uk/Ncrq-jobs-in-E ... 3d5d670861

If you need any further advice on NCRQ, you can PM me or ask on the forms as I know there are other members that have completed the course also

Regards

George
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

Hi CAD

Not a lot to add here as most has been said ./thumbsup..

Just a welcome to the forums from me :wave:

Good luck with your studies whatever course you decide and whenever you start ../.

Remember we have loads of downloads to help with your studies and loads of brill members to assist on the way .cheers

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

My only concern with this option is how future employers will see this qualification. When I've spoken to my manager he basically said that it was a mickey mouse qualification and would not give it the time of day. However, I do feel that there are other factors at play.
The NCRQ is not a micky mouse qualification.

What sort of health and safety are you looking to do? Actual health and safety where you are having to carry out assessments, investigations, policies and courses of action? or audits to see whether or not a company is compliant with the law?

In my opinion, the NCRQ is a much better qualification for the first part, After all, it is in applied health and safety. NEBOSH would be better for the second part as its all about regulations and legal wording. I would much rather take on an employee who knows how to conduct a proper risk assessment than one who can quote me section 3 of the Managment of health and safety at work regulations 1999, or one that can help me identify areas of liability in a potential claim than one who can quote me the fine and prison sentance I might get.

As for doing NEBOSH. I strongly advise against going it online in a short time frame unless you have an EXCELLENT memory. NEBOSH exams are not so much about understanding health and safety, as it is a memory excersise with specific word and phrasing requirements.

If you want to do it quickly, get your company to send you on a proper two week course - but those are not cheap.
joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by joaorosa80 »

My only concern with this option is how future employers will see this qualification. When I've spoken to my manager at work he basically said that it was a mickey mouse qualification and would not give it the time of day. However, I do feel that there are other factors at play.
Let me guess,
Your manager has a NEBOSH diploma.

Unfortunately, a couple of years ago, this was the approach in relation to NCRQ.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy