We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Tips for NEBOSH Diploma study

Talk about health and safety courses you are studying or find out about courses you are interested in, including NEBOSH Diploma, BA, MSc, PGCE, NVQ, NCRQ or any other academic qualification relevant.

Moderator: Moderators

EagleBeagle
Student
Student

Tips for NEBOSH Diploma study

Post by EagleBeagle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm obviously new here but think the site is great after having a look through it. I'm currently studying the NEBOSH International Diploma entirely by e-learning with SHEilds having graduated in another discipline before and developing an interest in H&S through work.

What are people's tips for studying as there's quite a lot of material to cover though I'm happy enough that I've a good grounding in Unit IA and IC, and will have the most gap to make up in the technicality of physical and biological agents in IB. It's very difficult to find the best way of organising, memorising and then comparing the variety of past questions to ensure that you have most of the key topics covered.

Anyone who has done the National Diploma could also share some tips as the basic content is essentially the same apart from the emphasis on the ILO in the International one.

Thanks for suggestions!

WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Tips for NEBOSH Diploma study

Post by WillPool » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:41 pm

EagleBeagle

Welcome to the forums :wave:

We have a downloads section which assist in revision, (flash cards, quizzes etc) click the HSfB Logo at the top of the page and it will take you there.

One thing I did and has been mentioned by others on here, is to record your study (onto your phone, mp3 player, CD, whatever) and you can listen in your spare time when travelling, running or whatever, it's like any album really, you get to know what track comes next ../. ;)

Good luck with your Diploma and once again welcome to the forums ;)

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Peridot

Post by Peridot » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:30 am

I know not everyone can, but I save up my annual leave and take a 'cram week' before each exam. It's really made the difference for me in being able to remember all of the detail for the exam. I think there's just too much in terms of facts and figures to lodge in my long-term memory.

EagleBeagle
Student
Student

Post by EagleBeagle » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:34 pm

WillPool wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:41 pm
EagleBeagle

Welcome to the forums :wave:

We have a downloads section which assist in revision, (flash cards, quizzes etc) click the HSfB Logo at the top of the page and it will take you there.

One thing I did and has been mentioned by others on here, is to record your study (onto your phone, mp3 player, CD, whatever) and you can listen in your spare time when travelling, running or whatever, it's like any album really, you get to know what track comes next ../. ;)

Good luck with your Diploma and once again welcome to the forums ;)

Will .salut
Hi Will,

Thanks for the welcome! :D

I will make my way over there now as that would be helpful to have a look through.

I must give that a try as I have all the MP3's from SHEilds downloaded and just need to put them onto a device. God knows I've enough of them connected to me at any one time!
Peridot wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:30 am
I know not everyone can, but I save up my annual leave and take a 'cram week' before each exam. It's really made the difference for me in being able to remember all of the detail for the exam. I think there's just too much in terms of facts and figures to lodge in my long-term memory.
I'm planning on doing this. I believe the next dates are in July so I'm working towards tackling them intensively. The facts and figures are immense and I do question how many are really relevant from an exam point of view at times, but it's always good to have a few good ones to add substance to an answer in my past experience.

That said, I much rather prefer using examples of relevant experiences when describing systems. I know that helps me understand a lot of things H&S wise.

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi EagleBeagle. :wave:

A very warm welcome to HSfB.

Not a lot more to add from what has already been mentioned. I am sure some of our members will come in with their own viewpoints to help.

Good luck with your study. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Get Listed for Free on our New Business Directory

EagleBeagle
Student
Student

Post by EagleBeagle » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Alexis wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:48 pm
Hi EagleBeagle. :wave:

A very warm welcome to HSfB.

Not a lot more to add from what has already been mentioned. I am sure some of our members will come in with their own viewpoints to help.

Good luck with your study. .salut
Thanks Alexis!

I must start the MP3 idea as soon as possible as that would be something I could easily incorporate into my day.

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:45 pm

When I was doing my Diploma, I had about a 40 minuted drive to/from work every day along a very boring and straight road.
I used to make my own notes on a personal recorder, and then play them back on the car radio, a bit like the old language training recordings you used to get, hear it and repeat it until it sticks.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

nige b
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: groundworks

Post by nige b » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:44 pm

I did both of my Dip's distance learning and one thing to plan is to spend at least 1 1/2 hours weekdays studying and 1/2 hour revising weekends its 3 and 1 best of luck
whatever the future im a happy bunny? Its now the future and I AM a happy bunny

Gringo1972
Student
Student
Industry Sector: offshore

Post by Gringo1972 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:14 am

Hi EagleBeagle

I have not long started my Diploma also with Shields, i found the mp3 stuff that shields provided very boring as the voice is very monotone and would drive you mad. Same with there videos very 80s style to them.
I would go for the recording your own voice. Im still on unit A, i printed all of unit A, then did a complete read through highlighting sections i thought would be relevant (there is a lot of background stuff that will never be asked) Then i wrote down all my notes.

Thats where im up to just now, just got to make it all stick in the grey matter now.

All the best .

Gringo

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy