Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

ivilla
Student
Student

Unit DNI - Review and Critical Analysis

Post by ivilla »

Hi all,

Just putting my plan together to make a start with Unit DNI. Due to the syllabus change I believe this module has now changed slightly. I want some advise about the 'review and critical analysis section (which makes up 40% of the total mark). I plan to do a gap analysis of the implemention of HSG65 within a medium to high risk are of our organisation. I was planninig to do a table with a heading for each part of HSG and put incomments evidence etc. However the focus appears to be around 5 core elements: leaderdship; managment; worker involvement; competence; compliance (5 marks each); and risk profile (15 marks). The guidance says for each element the current arrangement should be identified. Do you think I should do the gap analysis with regards HSG65 or do it on the core elements? I will contact my tutor as well but he does take a few days to reply.
Unit DNI Guidance Page 7 (Section 12)

Many thanks,

Ian
ivilla
Student
Student

Re: Unit DNI - Review and Critical Analysis

Post by ivilla »

Think I've figured out what I'm doing. Going to print a copy of HSG65 tomorrow as that has examples of what each element should look like in a positive health and safety culture.
ivilla
Student
Student

Post by ivilla »

How is everyone finding the new Unit DNI so far? I'm finally getting into the swing of things but keep hitting the occasional wall.
Shamiha

Post by Shamiha »

Hello,

Has anyone completed and submitted Unit DNI so far?
I am really struggling with it since i did the old version before and did not pass.

I need some help.

Thanks,
Shamiha
Thunderchild
Twitter: @sjuggins
Industry Sector: Warehouse and Manufacturing

Post by Thunderchild »

I'm sticking with the old version as this is the last opportunity to submit this style. I'm going with better the devil you know.

I'm just hoping that its the last time!
Shamiha

Post by Shamiha »

Hey guys,

Have anyone got any further with their Unit DNI.
I am still working on mine and will submit end of Feb.

I'm hitting brickwall after brickwall sincw my first submission was the old Unit D.

I'm currently reviewing the critical analysis!!

Can someone bring some clarifications for me. When choosing 3 areas of improvement, it says you can choose different elements from one area...elements such as fire, electricity, manual handling, etc...right?

I asked my tutor, he actually gave me an answer which is my question written in another way :lol:

Grateful for your help guys!
Cheers,
Sham
JonBoy78

Post by JonBoy78 »

Shamiha wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:37 pm Hey guys,

Have anyone got any further with their Unit DNI.
I am still working on mine and will submit end of Feb.

I'm hitting brickwall after brickwall sincw my first submission was the old Unit D.

I'm currently reviewing the critical analysis!!

Can someone bring some clarifications for me. When choosing 3 areas of improvement, it says you can choose different elements from one area...elements such as fire, electricity, manual handling, etc...right?

I asked my tutor, he actually gave me an answer which is my question written in another way :lol:

Grateful for your help guys!
Cheers,
Sham
Hi Sham

I feel your pain, this DNI has really thrown me.

I just seem to constantly be repeating myself and have no idea whether Im on the right lines as there are no examples available to compare to!

To answer your query - I think the 3 elements for area of improvement mean choosing 3 from the HSG65 elements ie. leadership, management, risk profile etc. They can all be from 1 of those sections if necessary but you need to justify this when choosing.

Im still stuck on the review and critical analysis section. I just dont know how much detail they require?

For example when talking about leadership are you meant to talk about leadership in every single H&S arrangement ie Policy, Responsibilities, Maintenance, Plant/Equipment, Man Handling, COSHH, ITIS, Emergency Planning, etc............. the list is endless.

Or as there are only 5 marks available do you just pick 5 examples and that will be adequate???

Same goes for Management.........does 5 marks mean give 5 examples???

My worry is if I choose not to talk about Leadership in one of the arrangements will this get picked up buy the examiner?? Will they say it is not an effective review as I have not covered all of the arrangements?

Really thought this would be less stressful than the exams being "open book" but hell no!

Cheeers
Jon
Shamiha

Post by Shamiha »

Dear Jon,

I feel you.
I have the same questions you have going in my head.
I was thinking about choosing all 3 elements in risk profile....then would that mean I can choose things like fire, manual handling, electricity...for example? As solving those would considerably bring down the risks!!
But i have the impression i'm not going in the right direction!!!

My tutor is not helpful at all. I email him with queries, and he points me back to the guidance....but duh! my initial query comes from reading the guidance in the first place! I used to think Unit D (the old one) was rubbish! But I stand corrected. Unit DNI is way rubbish-ier :lol: It's simpler in a few ways but oh so difficult on others!

I wanted to read someone's work to get an idea but found no one who agreed to share their work as reading material!!

I still have no clue what I'm doing.
As far as the critical analysis is concerned, i did my gap analysis starting with the questions found in the guide notes, then elaborated a bit after Googling much!
I have to write about it now! And i can't find the motivation to do so! As i feel like i'm going in blindly!!

All the best with yours!
Rock it! Or break it!

Cheers,
Shamiha
TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Post by TWDB »

Sam,
yep your having the same doubts as me.

hoping my tutor will have some words of wisdom this week.

I seem to be just throwing down statements on a page and nothing else. really showing some weaknesses in my technical report writing, but am I being too hard on myself and expecting to much from myself in terms of "I should no this "

at every step I'm doubting myself.

just want this thing done !

T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
Shamiha

Post by Shamiha »

I feel you.

i have the same prob.
And i thing i'm writing too much, as i'm literally going in blind!!

All the best! We need it ;)

Sham
MandyHoward

Post by MandyHoward »

HI

I am starting the Unit DN1 and am very confused regarding the critical analysis also.

Can you give me any advice seeing that you have probably passed this now.

Thank You

Mandy
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

MandyHoward wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:34 pm HI

I am starting the Unit DN1 and am very confused regarding the critical analysis also.

Can you give me any advice seeing that you have probably passed this now.

Thank You

Mandy
Hi Mandy. :wave:

Welcome to HSfB. I am sure someone will come in with some assistance.

Good to have you join us. :D
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy