Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Gringo1972
Student
Student
Industry Sector: offshore

Am i taking too many notes.... Help

Post by Gringo1972 »

Firstly guys I would like to say a big hello, its been a few years since I was last on here when I did my NGC.
Now its time for the big books for my Diploma AArrrhhh

I am doing my diploma distance learning, I have printed all the info for section A (944 pages !!)
Now I am only on section A1 page 29 so far, and I have 15 pages of notes !! Do you think I am writing too much down ?

It was good when I did my NGC classroom based as the instructor informed us what to concentrate on, now its all me and I feel that I have to remember every detail, but at this rate I will be here forever and will have worn my fingers down with all the note taking.

it would be good to know how other people felt about it.

Secondly, I have noticed already with the Diploma that they are defining words different form when I did the NGC. ie hazard and risk.
Now I understand that the Diploma is a higher standard, but why would I have to relearn something that is still a correct answer, if you understand me.
Ie Hazard, An activity or situation that has the potential to cause injury or harm , that would have been my NGC answer but with the diploma there is 4 different answers from different models, but none of them match my NGC answer.

Would that be an issue when getting marked after exam ?.

Anyway guys its good to be back and I am sure I will be posting more soon.

Good luck everyone.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Am i taking too many notes.... Help

Post by Alexis »

Hello and Welcome home Gringo! .cheers Good to have you back in the fold.

Just a welcome back from me. Our Diploma folks will, I am sure, come in with all their own experiences.

Good luck G. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

For me, I never took too many notes as the more I wrote things down, the more I 'seemed' to remember.

What I did was once I had written my notes was then to summarise the key facts which got me thinking and also made flash-cards up from the summary ;)

Hope this helps, good luck ../.

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Gringo1972
Student
Student

Post by Gringo1972 »

cheers guys

yeah Will thanks, I am planning on continuing this way till the end of section 1, then I will break them down by summarizing. Which I do normally do as this is just the first draft of notes, just seems a lot...

I had 4 pages of notes on the Robens report, then after looking at previous exam papers, there isn't even 1 question about it, so some time wasted there I think.

Cheers
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Gringo1972 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:41 pm
I had 4 pages of notes on the Robens report, then after looking at previous exam papers, there isn't even 1 question about it, so some time wasted there I think.

Cheers
Very much so. Is it relevant to getting H&S right? No, it's nice to know background, but nothing more.
You can summarise the Robens Report up with this page on the HSE website http://www.hse.gov.uk/aboutus/40/robens-report.htm
What that doesn't tell you, is that Robens was the guy in charge at the Coal Board 6 years previously, when Aberfan was hit by the Coal Waste landslide. :shock:
Have you got the latest syllabus downloaded?

There was a recent Topic about Diploma Exams where the subject of knowing the syllabus came up, and basically not just relying on the Tutor to give it all to you. http://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/fo ... 35#p338498
It is, after all, a Degree level qualification, so you either put the work in or you don't. When they list 'Additional Reading' that doesn't mean they are optional. The key is to put the work in on the right areas in a way that works for you.
Some people like lots of Notes, some don't.
My Provider/Tutor was about as much good as a Chocolate Teapot, and while Unit A went well, the notes and support for Units B&C were terrible.
Net result was that I worked from the syllabus and used the provided notes, but I double/triple checked every reference given by the Provider.
I found some quoted legislation was 2 or 3 revisions out of date.
The Classic quote from the notes was in Construction, where the notes spoke of marking Trenches with 'Oil Lamps', which probably went out of use about the time the HSWA came in, with the advent of battery amber beacons!!

So it's down to you to know what works for you. .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Gringo1972
Student
Student

Post by Gringo1972 »

Cheers for that bernicarey

I have the syllabus that was provided from my tutor, is it the latest ? not sure yet.

My online provider chased me everyday for my business for a long time, since they received my money I have sent them emails through there site asking for some assistance.

And guess what, Yep your right nothing back.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey »

Syllabus can be found via here: https://www.nebosh.org.uk/qualification ... ef=69&ct=2

Make use of all the resources you can. .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Gringo1972
Student
Student

Post by Gringo1972 »

Cheers bernicarey

Will look through the new Syllabus, the one I was given was February 2010. Think there might be a couple of changes in there.

Garry
Gringo1972
Student
Student

Post by Gringo1972 »

Morning guys

Bernicarey, I had a brief look through the 2 syllabuses last night, all I could notices was that, the powers of inspectors is not in section 1, but at the end of you day you will have to learn it at some point anyway, so it can be used for your unit D assessment.
There was slight movement in the order (Unit A)that it could be read or taught, but that shouldn't make a difference ?.

I did send an email to the tutor which they have replied and said they will look at it and get back to me ! This is there bread and butter "look at it" they should know the answers to that question like the back of there hand.

On a brighter note what a difference a couple of hours makes, Yesterday as I moved on into familiar territory (The management systems) well not too familiar as I had no experience of the new HSG65.... The penny dropped, I could see the big picture again, WoW I was bussing last night, and the new HSG65 has slotted into the grey matter with such ease lol.

Now I do understand this is such an emotional roller coaster ride and tomorrow someone might have to pick me up again, but for now I am flying this plane.

Laterz guys. :D
ivilla
Student
Student

Post by ivilla »

Not much help, but I find that my notes (double A4) ranges normally between 15-25 pages per element with the odd module being ~10 or 35-40 pages. I just wrote these and then re-read them repeatedly. Towards exam time I found I could scan through each in 30 mins - 1 hour and still extract information.
The key is to identify a way that works for you. Tough I know. For me its been the way I've always studied and I know no other way, but for me has worked every time so far.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey »

I had Flash Cards, Post-Its (other sticky notes are available) and Bullet Point Notes.
In addition, I read loads of actual legislation from the Legislation website and just about any other website I found of interest.
That's when I joined this site 8 years ago.
I also made my own audio recordings, because my work journey was around 30 minutes of straight road with no real traffic to worry about. So I could listen and recite back if required.
Finally, I watched youtube videos on major events, such as BLEVE s e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-tUQTw_Vtk

.salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Gringo1972
Student
Student

Post by Gringo1972 »

Thanks Guys

I plan to go down the Flash Card route - Mind maps - ../.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy