Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

garethjones
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Rail

Unit B+C simultaneously. ..

Post by garethjones »

Hi, as unit A (diploma) exam draws closer, I have read of various students studying B and C at the same time, going on to take exams 6 months(ish) later. Question... is this a viable approach?, personally I don't want to rush study, but am in the position of working 2 days, 2 nights, then 4 off, so can devote quite alot of time to study. Would be interesting to hear from others who have chosen this route.

p.s. bought the Unit A revision guide/ book from RRC, I can recommend it, handy size and contains everything in the 'big book', in a summerised form.

../. good luck to everyone studying for unit A in July ../.
browne4573
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Re: Unit B+C simultaneously. ..

Post by browne4573 »

I did units A,B&C simultaneously. A two week course for A in September/October, 9 days for B in November/December and 8 days for C in December/January before taking all three exams consecutively in the same January (4 days after the end of the unit C course).

I passed all three so anythings possible. It was quite difficult trying to keep the three modules separate in my head when I sat the exams but there were some benefits from having the exams quite close to the end of the courses as it was easy to remember some parts. Had a bit of a torrid few months but it was good to get them all out of the way in one foul swoop.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Hi Gareth

To answer your question, Yes, it's viable. It really depends on you and how you are studying; Intensive, day release, evening classes, Distance Learning, e-Learning, Blended, did I miss any option out?

I did Unit A, followed by Units B&C with Unit D hot on their heels. That was all entirely self study, with very limited support from a frankly quite useless Tutor.
I passed every unit at the first attempt, falling not many marks short of a Credit. But I couldn't care about that, a Pass is a Pass; given the number of people who don't pass first time (in all the different learning streams) I was, to coin a phrase, 'Dead Chuffed' at what I achieved in just over a year of self study.

I wouldn't recommend Browne4573's method of all 3 Units at once. It was classroom based and it worked for him, but I'm sure that is the exception that proves the rule; it's certainly not the approach to be recommended for the faint hearted. .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

garethjones
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Rail

Post by garethjones »

Thanks for the advice, interesting reading. I'm looking at probably distance learning, poss blended. Figure I can sign up for B+C and if it's too much can just put one on hold for 6 months. Usually my focus turns to fishing from now 'til october.

Just out of interest how much help/ advice do you get for unit D?, this is the only bit that concerns me.

Thanks again, a great help :wave:
browne4573
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by browne4573 »

bernicarey wrote:Hi Gareth

To answer your question, Yes, it's viable. It really depends on you and how you are studying; Intensive, day release, evening classes, Distance Learning, e-Learning, Blended, did I miss any option out?

I did Unit A, followed by Units B&C with Unit D hot on their heels. That was all entirely self study, with very limited support from a frankly quite useless Tutor.
I passed every unit at the first attempt, falling not many marks short of a Credit. But I couldn't care about that, a Pass is a Pass; given the number of people who don't pass first time (in all the different learning streams) I was, to coin a phrase, 'Dead Chuffed' at what I achieved in just over a year of self study.

I wouldn't recommend Browne4573's method of all 3 Units at once. It was classroom based and it worked for him, but I'm sure that is the exception that proves the rule; it's certainly not the approach to be recommended for the faint hearted. .salut
No I wouldn't recommend it either, I just didn't know any better. I saw the three units advertised in the brochure and presumed that was how everyone did it. It wasn't until I was sat in the classroom on the first day when we were doing the ice breaker meet and great that it gradually dawned on me that not everyone was doing all three units consecutively. When I explained what I was doing the instructor laughed and said "you wont pass" which wasn't very confidence inspiring! That negativity probably helped me more than the tutoring ;)
fleetwoodmac
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Retired hurt

Post by fleetwoodmac »

Thanks for the comments. I was considering B+C together, assuming by some fluke that I pass Unit A, but reckon that would only frazzle the few brain cells I have left.
redders

Post by redders »

I did a last July with b and c together January just gone with d in March. I have passed whole thing first time so its possible. But i would say its incredibly difficult juggling work study and family. I personally and i was pregnant wanted to get it over with.

Guess it depends if you want to bust your but for a year or have it lingering for a few years but either why its a lot of work........ But rewaring. good luck. :D

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy