Old Forum Postings - A Wealth of Information

HSfB might have things to say, big things might need to be announced, this is the forum we will announce those big things.

Moderator: Moderators

Gladiator
My Name is Maximus Decimus Meridius
My Name is Maximus Decimus Meridius

Old Forum Postings - A Wealth of Information

Post by Gladiator »

I suppose we can all be a bit guilty sometimes in asking a question when it has been asked in the past. Because people move on and contribute some excellent thoughts to a posting I felt it worthwhile to remind anyone just arriving to the forum that if you search around you will find some excellent information, not only here on old postings, but the main page of HSFB

https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/

(I was just peeping back to 2004 for some information)
And I just got to thinking that maybe when folks join they do not realise what is available, there are some amazing contributions going way back before ever I became a member, and I just wanted to offer praise for the contributors from eons ago.

I happen to know there is a couple of folks wanting to join and are reluctant to do so, in the main due to a fear of feeling silly about posting a question.

I can honestly say folks I have asked my fair share of daft things, I may not have always got the answer correct, but then a better mind than mine will spring to assist; always however in the most gracious and respectful manner. So go on, join us, they really are a super bunch; me, oh well I am still learning, so I shall keep asking daft questions in the hope someone can point me in the right direction. You'll just luv em all, sure ya will, so c'mon join in, you know you want to! ;)

Gladiator
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

Good points Glad and you made the newsreel in the forums ;)

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Well said Glad. [smilie=appl.gif] We're Glad we have Glad and just to add to his comment about how friendly everyone on this site is...........bighug to all our forthcoming new members. ;)
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Woodie
Master Craftsman
Master Craftsman
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Construction/Major Power

Post by Woodie »

Wise words from our excellent Gladiator

;) ;)
Truth never damages a cause that is just. GANDHI (1869-1948)

http://nott-us.co.uk/
HelenPJ
Risk Rodent
Risk Rodent

Post by HelenPJ »

Candidate for a Sticky? 8)

Especially in this weather :P
Helen
Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity
Aristotle
HelenPJ
Risk Rodent
Risk Rodent

Post by HelenPJ »

Agree about Old Postings, and often look back (or Search) when I remember reading something from before.

But today:
I noticed a recent query from someone and thought -
I remember a really good posting on "How to Talk NEBOSH" which explained Key words/phrases and what NEBOSH are looking for in the answers
- and now I can't find it...

I tried Search but came up with too many to wade through (>900) and was unable to refine it down - I'm on a day off and it looks like my brain is too. :oops:

Cos I think the How to Talk/Write NEBOSH would be really useful as a Sticky or maybe as downloadable in the Revision section of the site

I tried the Downloads and Revision sections too and couldn't find it there either.

Maybe I can't see it cos of the heat? :P :roll: :shock: :sleepy1:
Helen
Aristotle
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

The search function can be a pain, but I usually ask myself a few questions before searching.

Can I remember who the post was by?

Can I remember a specific phrase with unusual spelling, for example....... the Menezes case recently posted. Menezes is unlikely to have been mentioned before, unless of course when it first happened.

Can I remember the general topic? For example, if the topic was based on the NEBOSH certificate, then it is likely to have been posted at least in the study section of the forums. So, I could use the search function options to select the Study forums category at first, or I could select only the NEBOSH forums if I knew it was in there.

Do I remember a bit of the posters name, i.e. Jack Kane wrote one but I can't remember his name. So, I would use Ja* as a wildcard in the author search option.

Do I know that the phrase I'm looking for is in the title of the post or is it in the body of the post text? I could select the search tool to search only message text which would eliminate a few more posts.

The search function itself.......

You can use AND to define words which must be in the results, OR to define words which may be in the result and NOT to define words which should not be in the result. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches.

For example. Kitchen AND Hot NOT NEBOSH

So :lol:

You can use one of the search functions, all of the fucntions, a combination of the functions or very specific if you can remember even one small detail.

I hope this helps and hasn't confused things :? :D

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
HelenPJ
Risk Rodent
Risk Rodent

Post by HelenPJ »

Yep, that was the one I was thinking of!

Excellent Search Tips
Some I had used before, some I didn't know about

My main problem was my brain had gone all fluffy (or melted :P ) with the heat, so I only had the faintest recollection of reading it, stashing it away in my personal (mental) filing system as "that could be useful" and didn't remember anything else about it (much) :oops:

Which always makes it hard to find anything - the Virtual equivalent of trying to find an important document that you Put Somewhere Safe. :lol:

And I had forgotten all about the "Your Articles" section on the main page :oops: :? so I didn't look there First (unlike Downloads and Revision) before Searching.

And, of course :prayer: and ./thumbsup. to Nick H who put in all the Hard Work to such a straightforward, concise and useful article.
Helen
Aristotle
Vonnie
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Vonnie »

Thanks Gladiator for bringing up this point. I am finding stuff like risk assessment that Helen was searching for and Jack helped. There really is a wealth of info for us novices to Health and Safety and I can only re-iterate to people to join this friendly site. I have asked questions and always have had support and help. Come on folks join :D

Vonnie.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Just thought this should be brought up again as we go into a new year. It may help some of our newer members about to take exams.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
charliet

Re: Old Forum Postings - A Wealth of Information

Post by charliet »

Thank you for this reminder. I went straight there and many questions answered already. :D
davidfernando

Re: Old Forum Postings - A Wealth of Information

Post by davidfernando »

Hey Gladiator

Thanks for sharing such a useful and informative post, i am sure it will really help people like me who are little new to these thing "forums"

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy