Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Safe&Sound
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Mobile Scaffold Tower use

Post by Safe&Sound »

Hello,

A friend of mine has asked a questions regarding their company who has purchased a small mobile scaffold tower which is to be used for painting hard to reach areas of walls and installing new bulbs to the light fixtures.

They have their RAMS but I was a little alarmed that they had erected the scaffold themselves and are not checking it every 7 days. I know it's a small scale and lower risk compared to large scaffold on construction sites but it did make me wonder if something like PASMA was required. They claim to have followed the instruction manual for erecting which seems simple enough but I wouldn't class them as 'competent' either?

I welcome your thoughts on this as to wether PASMA or any other relevant training is required?

S&S
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Re: Mobile Scaffold Tower use

Post by Safety »

Hi S&S,

The HSE has a section on Tower Scaffolds: https://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/saf ... affold.htm
PASMA also have a section on Tower Scaffolds: https://pasma.co.uk/scaffold-towers/saf ... old-tower/

The person erecting the tower must be trained and competent to do so - PASMA do a training course for Users.

A risk assessment should be completed, including working at height.

Working at Height training should also be given.

A scaffold tower used for construction should be inspected before it is used for the first time and then every 7 days, until it is removed. It should also be inspected each time it is exposed to conditions likely to cause deterioration e.g. following adverse weather conditions or following substantial alteration.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy