Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

gregg011
Student
Student

coats for rainy weather

Post by gregg011 »

Hi,
I have a query and am looking for opinions. I work for a logistics company who do a lot of deliveries.
The driver (and van mate) have been provided with their PPE, which includes a jacket. An individual has managed to burst the zip on the jacket and we are ordering him a new one. But he has said that we should have one for him as and when he needs it.
He also has asked for waterproof leggings to be provided as he can get wet in the rain.
I pointed out that when I worked on the railway we got waterproof leggings due to bein outside for an 8 hour shift.
He is in and out of shops and spends about 90% of his time in the cab, going from delivery to delivery.
Should we provide him with leggings (and the other 150 in the company) and should we have Jackets (which need to have the logo put on them), on hand in case one gets a burst zip?
Personally I think he is extracting the urine, but would like others opinions?
Gregg011
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Re: coats for rainy weather

Post by Safety »

Hi Gregg,

we have workwear, i.e. hi viz jackets which are ordered as required, we haven't the space to hold large quantities in stock on site.

With regards to the question about waterproof trousers, have you completed a risk assessment, if you have and they do spend 90% of the time in the cabs then you have a justifiable reason probably not to provide....but again it depends on what they are doing for the other 10%, and you also need to take into account the extreme weather conditions, when it rains at times here in the UK it can bounce down and drench someone quite quickly.

You would also need to consider how the employee would dry their wet trousers, how long would they have to sit in their wet trousers before they could get changed into dry ones etc.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Yes you should have spares in stock. You dont need many but you should have some, especially if the company is caught up with silly things like logos so they cant just say buy a new jacker from B&Q and claim it back.
Yes you should provide waterproof trousers in my opinion. Driving in wet trousers is a distraction that could lead to an accident, and in cold weather, could lead to hypothermia.
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

As Safety has pointed out - what does our risk assessment say?
Do you have a cold weather or extreme weather policy at hand that will cover this issue? If not then do one.

I just had a quick check on line and "Toolstation" have 2 piece waterproofs on their site for less than £10. Not sure of the quality but I would urge you to look at addressing this issue before we get into winter.

And now might be the time to stock up on sun screen for the next summer :)

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
gregg011
Student
Student

Post by gregg011 »

Thanks for your input guys,
I have passed the consensus of opinion onto my boss.
Its up to him now.
Gregg011..

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy