Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Deflated

Post by Safety »

I have organised online training through our LMS on working at height, its no more than a 10 minute training presentation and that's pushing it....

My MD sent me an email asking me if this is really necessary for office staff as we are coming into our busiest period for the office teams.....
He would rather limit it to those who, based on risk, are likely to have an accident whilst working at height......

Where do you go with that comment, I told him its a legal requirement and an office person could fall from height just as a production worker could, and Xmas is coming so decoration time etc etc.

Why should we split office people from production people when it comes to training, I'm lost for words, they are no different at the end of the day and should have the same training as any other person....

My rant over :x
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
Ian Rienewerf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Deflated

Post by Ian Rienewerf »

Most of us have all been in that situation before.
My presentation for manual handing & work at height training for office staff normally includes a statement that the training will keep people safe at home as well as work - therefore reducing staff downtime due to accidents at home (e.g. during periods of high workload).

Fire safety is another important topic which can help to save a load of problems for low risk office staff - at home and at work.
If the office burns down due to lack of fire safety awareness, they won't have a job tomorrow morning.
http://www.irems.co.uk
Risk management for companies with 5 to 50 employees
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

I like Ian's take on it Safety.

Work at height in an office does happen!

Falls from height do not have to occur 50 feet in the air.

What about one scenario of the small dalek stool that is nowhere to be seen in order to reach the heavy file storage box on top of the filing cabinet that sits beside the table with the kettle of boiling water with the cord hanging over, with the steel radiator open-armed waiting to crack the skull should they fall from the "alternative chair-with-wheels choice" because they were "at their busiest period"?
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Post by 1804 »

Safety

ask your MD what office staff are going to use when they put up Christmas decorations this year - standing on desks, chairs, chairs with wheels etc.

Just because it is not part of their job description it is still working from height!

Keep fighting the good fight but you may consider doing it somewhere else if it gets on your nerves too much?
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Keep his message and the HSE come knocking hand it over to them.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I understand that deflated feeling only too well

Perhaps a small amount of this cavalier attitude is to be expected as part of our job is to educate and influence others, and its tricky when your management isn't on board.

But if it gets too much, you have to act. An example is my employer.

We utilise a crisis management team during critical events involving a building, IT or HR type issue. We have worked our socks off during covid with minimal support from the Board above us. But a recent event - which I cant go into - has lead to the resignation of the head of fire safety (me), the head of estates and head of security

We are all leaving together and have issued a joint resignation notice stating why. That's a combined 42 years of experience with this employer all walking out the door together

Its caused a tsunami of interest and offers of support/changes from management, but its all too late. It feels scary but liberating that after months of pressure, I am off to try a new part time role that is not fire safety related 😳

Post by 1804 »

Blimey

good for you Messy - I hope - I always back someone who stands up and does what is right, rather than those who threaten resignation then backtrack. If this was the 1970's this would be seen as revolutionary and you would have been in a bit of a pickle, but these days even your (ex) employer hopefully is a bit more 21st century - although this may just be wishful thinking.

What now then? Moderator? Government adviser? Or have you had just about enough?

Whatever, you have my respect, for what it's worth.

Cheers
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Thank you 1804
Its been building for a while. Indeed I have grumbled on here for ages
But a recent event created a situation that risked life safety and business continuity to a point where it was completely unacceptable. I cannot go into details, but we all fear a catastrophic event which would be headline news..... across the world

I know that sounds like I am overdoing this event, but I am definitely not

I am glad to get away and fear even this dramatic registration of almost 25% of the crisis management team will not change things at the top
Ian Rienewerf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ian Rienewerf »

I went self employed in 2005 due to a lack of support in my role as ISO14001 environmental manager for a manufacturing company (450 employee site, £20m turnover, part of an international group of companies).

Messy - stick to your guns, but don't burn your bridges completely.
I now do contract work for my old company at twice my previous hourly rate.
http://www.irems.co.uk
Risk management for companies with 5 to 50 employees
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

I'd love to go self employed, but two concerns that stop me are:

Being unable to build a client base because I am no salesman, and, I know the client base, and they are a tick box industry that are no interested in real health and safety, just the bare minimum that will protect them in court. That attitude is what got me out of the industry in the first place and im now having to learn new industries instead.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy