If Facebook Groups are your thing, join ours and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Risk Assessments within the Telecomms industry

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

TripHazard

Risk Assessments within the Telecomms industry

Post by TripHazard »

Hi,

I wanted to ask peoples opinions on risk assessments within the telecomms industry, directed towards working on 'telegraph poles'. I have been in the telecomms industry for a short time and wanted to hear if anyone else has the same issues.

Do you have to carry out a risk assessment per pole or as a job (As per site plan/Construction phase plan). My interpretation of the regs is each pole would have its own risks, so in my opinion it would have to have its own RA.

Currently I have a site specific risk assessment for a project which has been carried out by myself and an operative (Me being the professional H&S advisor and the operative being the competent person carrying out the work). The RAMS cover the work being carried out, as well as the safe procedures/Checks, safe systems of work etc associated with this type of work.

I then get the operative to carry out a daily/dynamic risk assessment prior to the work commencing/any changes to site in the form of a tick assessment (Similar to an app but paper form), for each pole. Is this too much?

This means the operatives might have to fill out 30 risk assessments a day, or depending how many poles he has to work on. The Mgt regs state 'Suitable and Sufficient', but am I over killing this?

Any opinions or guidance would be greatly received, because i'm all for making sure everyone is safe and we stick to legalities, but I also don't want to bog the worker down with millions of paperwork, as i want them to carry out the risk assessing to the site, get the job done safely but avoid them being in a place for to long due to working near busy roads.
Juan Carlos
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Risk Assessments within the Telecomms industry

Post by Juan Carlos »

Hi, not in the same industry as you, but my opinion is that you should try and minimise the paperwork on this. I would have a good generic risk assessment, a well documented SSofW (to which operators are trained against) and only request that an additional dynamic RA is completed is the activity / environmental conditions fall away from the things that are already covered in the RAMS.
TripHazard

Re: Risk Assessments within the Telecomms industry

Post by TripHazard »

Thank you for the reply. We have a safe system of work and good solid RA. So will look into it. Many thanks :D

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy